Customer reviews

Fungus the Bogeyman
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2017
Brilliant - both story and and illustrations. Utterly hilarious.
on 28 September 2017
An old favourite, deservedly still available.
on 22 October 2011
This book takes at least 3 readings to getall the humour - think Magic Roundabout x 10 - an ideal Christmas present for your grown-up kids!
on 29 March 2014
I know this is a classic, but time does nothing to devalue this. I am in my thirties but still don't feel that poring over the pictures in this book is a waste of my time. Beautiful illustrations and although the plot line is thin it is a moving take on our modern way of life. It is thought provoking. Well worth your time and money. Don't bother with the 2004 DVD version.
on 6 September 2001
I still have my original first edition of Fungus from 1978, a book which was a firm favourite then and remains so to this day. I read Raymond Briggs' book so many times that I can still quote from it ("Nothing is permanent but woe" as seen on a bogey sandwich board; "Fungus inspects his trousers which have been marinading overnight 'mmmm! these really stink!'")and I find the book enduringly funny yet poignant. Fungus is a decent hard-working bogey but asks himself what is is all for? why do bogeymen exist? why do they have to pester and frighten the Drycleaners? (as we who live on the surface are known.) It seems as if no one has the answer, not even his beloved wife Mildew "the ugliest woman in Bogeydom."
Children (and doubtless many adults) will love this brilliantly illustrated book, and all the detail so lovingly described within - it is funny, rude, tender, thoughtful and even moving. I cannot recommend it enough.
22 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2011
Its impossible not to love this book. We had it when I was a kid and fondly remember looking for him in the woods near our house. We were never scared of the bogeyman or the dark! The illustrations are, oddly, quite beautiful and the humour is quirky and wonderfully atmospheric. A treat for any older child or adults imagination! And remember, "nothing is permanent but woe" (fungus)
on 28 February 2003
My mother first got this book out of the local library for me when I was about seven or eight, and now at the age of twenty-one, it remains one of my favourite books. I even named my first pet budgie Fungus (well, it was pale green!). "Fungus the Bogeyman" is one of those stories that can be enjoyed by all ages. Some of the in-joking of the narrative may only be understood by the slightly older child, but even the younger ones will love the ick factor of Fungus's life.
The perfect antidote to our over-sanitised lives.
on 23 December 2012
Having bought this for my other half, whom I was shocked to realise had reached the age of 38 without even having heard of it, I couldn't resist a few minutes refreshing my memory of it before wrapping!! The way the book is written and laid out is very quirky but this doesn't at all make it difficult or annoying to read, that said it is definitely aimed at competent readers (I actually snorted tea out my nose reading the earlier review by the parent giving it a poor rating for not being suitable for a 4 year old) I remember discovering and loving it at ten but having just looked at it again I'm pretty sure it is going to be swiftly claimed by my 7 year old daughter after my other half has read it as it's something I think she'll like, everyone's different.
on 10 December 2011
This wonderfully surreal book casts pallid light into the previously hidden world of bogeydom, whose sunless ecology seems driven largely by cold dank decay. Follow a night in the life of a working bogeyman.

There are guiding notes about their world and lives, from cradle of filth to shallow grave. These eco-friendly beings positively encourage bodily micro-organisms instead of bombarding them with germicidal chemicals.

The section on bogey anatomy reveals that feeding triplets poses no problems, but the umbelical cord details have been censored out of respect for bogey standards of modesty. It is all done in the best possible taste... as far as it is possible with bogeymen.

Packed with humour that almost oozes off the pages. Thank goodness it doesn't have a scratch and sniff version!

I loved this book (aged 43) and bought a copy for my niece (aged 7) who also loved it.
I am now known as uncle bogeybottom.

Adults and kids should have a great time reading this book, unless they are like the Flanders family in The Simpsons.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2007
'Repulsive but none the less compulsive'. This classic Raymond Briggs book hasn't got a real storyline. It's more like an comic strip encyclopedia on the life of bogeymen (Fungus) and bogeywomen (wife Mildew) and their bogeychildren (son Mould). The book just charts a day in the life of a bogeyman, who it seems, exists merely to torment us 'Drycleaners'. This clever study of bogeydom revels in all things revolting, slimy, putrid, and lavatorial, and even raises deep questions on the meaning of Bogeydom life.

The book is filled with visual and literary gags, e.g. hidden on Mildrew's bathroom shelf there's 'FemStench' perfume which is real Eau de Toilete (toilet water), plus you finally find out what Great Aunt Ada Doom of Cold Comfort Farm really saw in the woodshed as a child (and yes it was something nasty). This book would be of interest to any kid over 7, boys might go for it at an earlier age than girls - although be warned it's not suitable for sensitive parents. It's also ideal for well read teenagers and young adults, who will appreciate the sophisticated humour more. So if you ever wondered what makes the bogeyman hiding under your bed tick, get this superbly illustrated and funny book.