Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 August 2012
After the huge stumble of The Atlantis Complex, Eoin Colfer manages to get the series back on track for this finale. As expected, it closes off previously established plots without really offering any of its own. It's a very fast flight as Artemis, Holly, and Butler race from a chaotic Haven City in the Lower Elements to Fowl Manor as supervillain Opal Koboi schemes to unlock a magical gate that will erase all human life on Planet Earth.

There are some great ideas here in this last book, but there's not time to develop them. The potentially fascinating idea of Earth grounding to a halt after the destruction of all technology unknowingly reverse-engineered from Fairy tech is never explored beyond a single paragraph as Colfer seems to be only interested in getting to the end as fast as possible and putting this successful series behind him forever. I critisized The Atlantis Complex for being 'phoned-in'. That isn't the case here, but you can still tell that he's grown tired for the character.

It is still a mostly satisfying ending, but I really would have liked the love between Artemis and Holly to finally come to something, but it doesn't. The end goal is all Colfer is interested in, and while it's a fun ride getting there I can't help but feel if his heart was in it more it could have been the explosive finale that the series deserved.

No one will really be disappointed, though I would have preferred a slightly slower pace and a bit more room for developing (and finishing off) characters we have been following for 10 years.
on 20 April 2017
The book as always was wonderful. Somehow I got conned by amazon into getting the wrong audio book!!! I thought I was purchasing the narration by Gerry O'Brien who did such a perfect job on the previous seven books, but it was another reader called Nathaniel Parker. I am sure Mr Parker does a perfectly good audio interpretation but as it is the last book in the series it, it was just too large for me to try to get used to his interpretation, Butler is not from Northern Ireland and Holly and Kelp are not Cockney nor is Opal an Asian. So my only regret is the lack of Gerry O Brian reading the audio accompaniment. Full makes to Mr Colfer
on 10 May 2017
Purchased for my 12 yr old son. He has read all the others and loved this one too. Arrived promptly.
on 3 April 2017
Or is it?!!!! With Colfer, even after the fat lady sings.you never really know. And i feel a aria coming
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2012
When you have a teenage genius, a fairy, a centaur and an enormous bodyguard, you can always rely on Colfer to give you ACTION. While the humour is a little more subtle (I suddenly realised: 'SALTON FINNACRE'; it's like Sabina Pleasure in Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider books. Get it? I didn't, for years. And then I DID) and sometimes self-conscious, it is still trademark-Colfer. With sequels, you're always afraid you might not love it, but by page 9 I was all 'RAWR I LOVE THIS BOOK'. And sure, there are weak points, but WHATEVER.

After Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex, we were left in a pretty precarious place, with Artemis suffering from a fairy form of OCD. Book 8 picks up at the conclusion of his treatment - fully cured, according to the notes of Dr J Argon.

This is the last book. The last time we spend time in this world, with these characters. The conclusion has to be big. EPIC. What is more epic than the complete annihilation of humans and fairies? That's what Opal Koboi, Artemis' arch-nemesis, will do - unless the team can stop her. But with the spirits of ten-thousand-year-old warriors possessing little Myles and Beckett, Fowl Manor under siege, and a technodisaster that cuts them off from Haven City, what can they do?

Improvise, of course.

What I loved:

- The friendships: the one that's developed the most over the series is of course Holly's and Artemis'. They trust each other and can rely on each other. Artemis has these heartwarming moments of seeing Holly as if he's never seen her before. This made me choke up a little:
'He wished he could loop the past ten seconds...so he could properly appreciate how fierce and beautiful his best friend was.'

- Myles and Beckett: I don't want to spoil it, but their character development is MAGNIFICENT. Maybe it might even open a door for another book someday with these two at the centre. Oh man, I want this book! I'm wildly speculating, but the more I think about it, the more brilliant the idea seems.

- Butler. Butler Butler Butler. I love Butler. He's a a big huge heart dressed in a stereotype that he's shucked off a million times. He never, ever EVER lets you down.

- Foaly. We get so used to seeing his snark that we rarely see his heart, but oh my, does he have one. Dude.

- Mulch. Nuff said. Cameos from pretty much from everyone important in past books.

- Some big emotional hits. Not telling you any more about that, though.

- Most magnificent of all is Artemis himself. It's impossible not to feel nostalgic throughout this whole book, but Artemis' evolution is what truly brings a tear to the eye. The cold, detached Artemis has become a true and loyal friend, and in the end, this is what it is all about. He is still analytical and calculating, but he's found his heart. I won't be the only person who has genuine feelings for this fictional character, not only because he could be a few people I know.

I am going to miss this world and these characters, like old, well-loved friends. I've been reading right from the moment the first book came out - 11 years ago? Every book a person reads changes them in some way, however minute, and these characters have been real friends to me, even if that sounds cheesy.

May the fours be with you, Artemis Fowl.

PS - There's a short preview of a new series/book from Eoin Colfer coming out in 2013, called W.A.R.P. It looks Good.
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2012
All authors can fall in to the trap when writing a series. The first has the amazing, the second the incredible, the third the unbelievable and the fourth the world ending cataclysmic. Doc E E Smith did it with his Lensman series, but managed to extricate himself with an appropriate finale. Colfer doesn't quite make it. You end up flicking through pages of description of all the world changing consequences of evil domination to pick up the nuggets of Artemis's genius, but by now you are thinking the way he does, and the end is as obvious as watching an old episode of Tom & Jerry. Predictable and disappointing.
on 23 November 2015
Must be the worst book in the series, but we were hooked, so had to finish reading them all.
on 20 August 2012
After finishing the book, I had a quick flick thru some other reviews of AFLG before starting this review. Obviously I've grown up with this series and everyone else sharing their opinions had their own ideas of how this should end (is this the end?) - I struggled for a while to decide on my rating. So here's my logic on going for the full 5 star treatment.
First of all, thanks to Eoin Colfer for putting together a truly imaginativeand memorable series. Some of it has required some serious concentration to disentangle the story, a great deal of suspension of disbelief, and sometimes an infuriating resorting to convenient story lines to get from one point to another (my personal bugbear was the squandered opportunity of Artemis' memory wipe circa book 3 which could have led to all sorts of fun and conflict, but was reversed far too quickly)
But what has kept me hooked throughout is the development of character and elegance of writing style. Artemis Fowl starts as a precocious, mean spirited, cold and calculating 11 year old who sees an opportunity to gain supremacy at the expense of an entire race of people. It takes considerable literary guile to develop him into a multi-faceted and admirable anti-hero who ,by the end of AFLG, has no hesitation in carrying out the ultimate act of selflessness. I've also been drawn in by the colourful and sharp-witted team around him, his loyal elf ally Holly Short, ever self-sacrificing bodyguard Butler, and the many characters who 've come and gone along the way. The death of Holly's commander Julius Root was a poignant and painful reminder that this was no child's play that Artemic Fowl frequently found himself drawn into.
Mulch is welcome light relief here as he has frequently been. It has been noted that his appearances in AFLG have been somewhat convenient for our heroes' escape from peril, but there has rarely been a literary hero who hasn't relied on a little luck to emerge victorious.
To the book itself, and with some relief I read the first few pages to be met with the reassurance that, following the disturbing lack of our hero through Atlantis Complex, (I've reviewed that elsewhere, and found it more than a little disappointing) Artemis is well and truly back with us, and this time we're straight into the action as all the jetsetting and dimension-hopping has been discarded in favour of getting back to the place it all started, the Fowl Manor outside Dublin, where super villainess Opal Koboi is preparing her ultimate plan for world domination. In true Mission Impossible 4 style, our heroes are cut off from their high-tech support system and have to rely on their own wits and courage to save the day.
Unlike some of the other books, I found the narrative quite straightforward and direct this time. No space-time continuum quandaries or paradoxes to deal with here. There are enough clues from the start to piece together how Artemis will try and outwit his opponent, but it is still satisfying to see him stay one step intellectually of everyone including his firends, and they all recognise this, but this matured Artemis recognises also the qualities of his friends that he has come to rely on in his many adventures.
I've noticed that some were hoping for more loose ends to be tied up - I'm not sure this necessarily leads to a more 'satisfying' conclusion than otherwise it might be. JRR Tolkein spent a lot of time on loose ends with LOTR and that just resulted in a great story that went on for far too long. Would we be happier if the last chapter of AFLG hadn't been written? Is 'The Sopranos' any less of a TV show given that we never find out what happens to Tony? Personally, I think the nuanced and complex relation ship between Artemis and Holly makes far more interesting reading than any Mills and Boon nonsense.
So, 5 stars to Eoin Colfer for delivering the characters we love, doing what they do best, and for coming up with the goods with AFLG after coming off the rails a bit with the previous book. Artemis Fowl, boy genius, we'll miss you
on 12 July 2012
The eighth and final installment in the Artemis Fowl series is a real treat. Where other books suffer from diminishing returns Eoin Colfer's has gone from strength to strength and for me he ends the series with the strongest entry in the series. The Last Guardian reunites us with all our favourite characters from the series such as Holly Short, Mulch Diggums, Butler and of course Artemis himself.

The Last Guardian sees the return of major villain Opal Koboi unleashing her most fiendish scheme to date. By harnessing ancient powers and releasing an army of fairies that have been trapped for thousands of years she intends to completely wipe out the human race and become leader of the People. This is by far the darkest book in the series and Opal's scheme is often incredibly shocking and only works because of Colfer's understanding of his target audience. This is an exciting adventure. There's no slow build up. It kicks off early and the excitement doesn't let up. It's impossible to say a bad word about this book. Colfer draws on the previous entries in the series to provide a genuinely satisfying conclusion to the adventures of Artemis Fowl series. It's a joy to see how well these characters have developed over the last decade especially Artemis who has gone from villain to hero without it ever feeling unnatural.

This is not a book for newcomers but if you've followed Artemis Fowl's adventures over the last seven books then this is a must buy. By the time you the last page you'll be desperate for more and isn't that the best way to end things?
on 12 July 2012
Artemis has finally come to the end of his adventures. This book kicks off with a bang, Holly, Artemis, Butler, Foaly, Mulch, Juliet, Myles, Beckett and Trouble are back! And so is Opal. She has escaped from prison, using a tactic only the completely insane would use. And can she even be stopped this time?

This book is beautifully written with surprises around every twist and turn. It's like a series of explosions, Artemis faces a desision that nobody should ever have to make and it could affect his family and friends forever. Opal seems to be anticippating his every move whilst sunrise is getting closer with every passing minute. Finally we get to find out what Artemis resigned himself to pretty much straight away. I won't tell you what happens, but Eoin put the most beautiful twist at the end, which made the saying goodbye to Artemis slightly easier. All I will say is; it ends right back at the beginning. It isn't a riddle but you probably won't work out what I mean until the last sentence. All in all, the people who have followed Artemis through his adventures must read this final book. One more thing that everyone will be happy about, with the Artemis Holly thing, Eoin left it up to you to decide whether they remain friends or change into something more. The final Artemis Fowl book has tied up all lose ends, and brought the world of fairy adventures to a close. The adventures of Artemis Fowl II have ended. The rest is left to your imagination...
-Allie