Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2016
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
I enjoyed Cinder. It’s a right old page turner, digging up the old fairy tale and planting it in a future far far away.
Earth is the grip of a plague, carried to the planet by illegal lunar folk. There is no cure and the emperor is dying of the disease. The evil Lunar Queen is desperate to take over the earth and has spies working across the planet to aid her plan. Amongst this danger a cyborg grease monkey of considerable talent called Cinder, meets the handsome Prince Kai when he visits her shop to ask her to repair his android.
Life takes a downward turn when Cinder’s good step sister falls ill with the disease and Cinder is blamed by her evil step mother for her daughter’s ailment. As cyborgs are used as guinea pigs in the quest for a cure, she volunteers Cinder for trials. So far no Cyborg has survived testing but Cinder is immune. And the only other people known to be immune are lunar by birth. The mystery begins.
From here on the book rockets along a narrow old path and we are privy to her true identity, but Cinder has no idea of how important her immunity is going to become.
on 31 December 2013
I loved this book so much it only took me three days to read it. This book is the retelling of the story of Cinderella & it follows the story of a gifted cyborg mechanic from New Beijing, who is reviled by her Stepmother (guardian) and is blamed for her sisters sudden illness.

Then to make things worse she becomes entwined with the life of the Commonwealths Handsome Prince Kai, who becomes emperor after his fathers death, which lands her in the middle of violent struggle between the desires of a evil queen from the moon and a dangerous temptation.

Merissa's writing is amazing which meant that the descriptions of the Characters and the world were that good that as a reader you felt like you were actually part of the story which is why it was so hard to put down, so only took 3 days to read. All the way through the book you had sympathy with Cinder because of the way her step family treat her and so the situations she got into because of it.

So i can't wait to read Scarlet which I will be doing for the Goodreads: Reading Everthing and Anything group next month.
on 4 December 2013
This book was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It starts off with Cinder, a orphan cyborg who was taken in by a man whose wife despises her. When he dies his wife is left with Cinder as a ward. She forces Cinder to work for her keep, using profits from Cinder's job to fund her own lifestyle. And thus we are introduced to this new, modern version of Cinderella set in the distant future.

The author was able to remain true to the old fairytale without making it feel as though you were simply reading Cinderella in the future. Many things had a slight twist, like her friendship with her step-sister and the plague that is ravaging the whole world. Marissa Meyer managed to make this a thoroughly original novel, with the tale of Cinderella used as only a starting off point.
While the main plot twist was obvious from nearly the start of the book, I still found myself reading on wanting to know exactly how this was revealed and what would happen after.
This book was extremely good and I would recommend it for anyone, and I am eagerly anticipating the next installment of this book.
on 16 May 2015
How do I even begin with this book! I've seen a lot of people talking about it and recommending it and looking at the description I thought it was something I'd like but WOW. I loved it! I'm so glad I bought the second book (Scarlet) in advance because as soon as I'd finished this I had to know what happened next!

This is based on/ inspired by/ a retelling of Cinderella (as you may have guessed from the cover and title) but it's so much more. It's set it a futuristic version of Earth where one of the main differences from our world is a settlement of 'Lunars' on the moon. These people have 'magic' powers (explained more scientifically in the book) and the political rivalry between them and Earth and the threat of war sets the background for this series. Then on top of that, as the main storyline in this book, you have Cinder's story, a cyborg mistreated by most of her family who meets the Prince and... well you'll have to read it to see how close to Cinderella it is and what changes!

This is definitely one of my favourite series and I'd totally recommend it.
on 1 August 2015
This is a good book but it has some flaws.

Some of the biggest and most important plot points of the whole book can be pretty much be figured out by the end of chapter 4, near the beginning. So you're just waiting for the big plot reveals that you already know is going to happen.

I found it a bit disheartening to figure it out so soon, I felt like the book would lack momentum after figuring it out, but then the writer still manages to make a gripping book, and that knowledge becomes a tease when there's so many opportunities to make that knowledge official.

At some points, I didn't like Cinder, despite finding out that she can help, all she wants to do is runaway. Still, she was interesting to read about.

The tension she has with her adopted step mother makes for good reading. But her relationship with her favourite adopted step sister was lacking in strength and details that I found it hard to sympathise.

I did enjoy it and I'm on to the next book, hope it's as gripping as this one.
on 21 May 2015
I have seen the this book around for years and after reading the blurb (Cyborg Cinderella of the Future) i thought: NO! absolutely not. I have a deep love of fairytale retellings and after reading a load i caved and thought, alright lets give this book a chance. Best decision of my life! This book was brilliant and the story was so captivating. Although the story was very different from the original fairytale i found it so clever the way that Marissa Meyer got the key points in. Also this book managed to do something the original story never could: it made me love Cinderella. In the original i always thought that Cinderella was a but meek for staying under the same roof as her wicked stepmother and she was far too timid. Linh Cinder is so far from that! There is a very good reason why she can't leave the 'care' of her stepmother and she has so much fire in her that it's impossible to dislike her!
I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially as someone who would never have dreamed that i would like a book like this!
on 28 December 2015
I devoured this book in one sitting, it was that good. I though it was a great idea - combining two of every teens' favourite genres - Disney-princess-like fantasy and dystopia. Although the story doesn't strictly follow the classic Cinderella tale that everyone knows so well, there were many little refrences that I thought really added to the plot - it makes you think about what your reading. I loved the characters as well - Cinder's no-nonsense approach to life was great, and I also liked the fact that the author twisted the 'ugly sister's' personalities' a bit as well - making one of them a friend to Cinder instead of an enemy. I also loved Prince Kai - he seemed like such a swet guy, genuinely trying to do what was best for his country. It was great that Cinder wasn't too sappy about him - most girls in YA noves usually are. The book ended with a lot of unnswered questions for me and a bit of cliffhanger - it's clear that this is just the beginning! Extremely excited to read the next book in the series :)
on 13 March 2016
I love this book so so much. I was reluctant to buy it despite all the fantastic reviews, because of its sci-fi genre, as I really dislike that type of book. It's a genre I never ever enjoy, and don't ever find myself wanting to read at all.

But this is my new favourite series (and my previous one(s) where the mortal instruments/infernal devices. It suppassed them) and I read it in one sitting, I just could not put it down and immediately ordered the next ones, and then started reading it again.

The characters are all so fantastic, the plot is so addictive, the relationships are adorable, and the world is just so so fascinating to read about, as well as all the fairytale parrells.

Seriously, you should definitely read it. This one was incredible, and the books only get better as the series progresses. Which is very difficult to do considering the amazing standered of this book. Merissa Meyer is a genius, and I will probably be reading ever book she publishes from now on.
on 16 February 2012
A video review of Cinder by Marissa Meyer. If you liked my review and want to see more of them check out my youtube channel, username SableCaught.
on 27 May 2014
After being totally sucked in by such a gorgeous cover I had to have this book and it is amazing. The story is essential a retelling of cindrella with a bit of a futuristic twist. The main character is a young girl who is half human half cyborg cinder. Cinder lives with her stepmother who just like in the fairytales really doesn't like cinder ( cindrella in the fairytale) and her two stepsisters. Cinder hopes to one day escape from her stepmother however her plans on put on hold when her stepsister (the one that likes cinder) catches the plague that is currently killing of a large portion of the population. Once her stepmother knows of what has happened to her daughter cinder is sent of to become a test subject to find a cure for the plague. So begins a adventure of finding love with the Prince, adventure and a evil queen who will stop at nothing to reign for as long as possible. It's an amazing and freash New twist on an age old classic tale and a must read for anyone is a fan of fairytales.