Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2017
In the future we will be united, united against the Lunars, the Lunars are always threatening us with war and then there is the plague, decimating the planet, can anyone stop a war and cure a plague?
Cinder is a dystopian retelling of Cinderella with a bad Stepmother, handsome prince, but in this case Cinderella is a Cyborg named Cinder.
I enjoyed this book, it is very well written and I found myself really sympathising with Cinder, not just because of her mean stepmother but because although she is a cyborg, she is more human than most of the other characters (except she isn’t obviously).
Ciinder is a clever girl, she knows she is a second class citizen but she knows what she wants and fights for it. , all the characters in Meyer’s retelling are well defined and there are laughs, loves and tragedy and above all there is hope, to me that is the most important part of a story like this, there must be hope, otherwise what else is there.
This is a really enjoyable retelling, bringing the story of Cinderella in to the future with a twist and I for one am looking forward to reading the rest of the Lunar Chronicles.
on 5 September 2016
Cinder is the first in the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer, a dystopian young adult series. Set in New Beijing, this is a Cinderella story retelling - with a twist. Our protagonist Cinder is not your average girl, in fact, she's not a girl at all, she's a Cyborg. After a terrible accident at the age of eleven, Cinder was left part human, part machine; but her history is shrouded in mystery and there are secrets to be uncovered.

When Prince Kai of New Beijing visits a mechanic's workshop seeking the city's best mechanic, he finds Cinder, not at all what he was expecting. Little did they know that this meeting would irrevocably change both of their lives and they'd find themselves in the middle of an intergalactic struggle.

Cyborgs, androids, lunars, the plague - by all accounts this story just shouldn't work. But it does. There's a mishmash of half a dozen different individual plot points that one would never think of putting together for they would make a truly absurd story. Yet, here we have Cinder that does exactly that, but instead of being completely bonkers, it presents a story full of plot twists in a new world.

Cinder is a fantastic female protagonist that you will be rooting for from start to finish. She is deemed a second-class citizen because she is a Cyborg and her step mother will never let her forget it. Her step sisters have never had to work a day in their lives and their main focus is the royal ball. Meanwhile, Cinder spends every day stuck in her workshop, scraping pennies together for the whole family, but she doesn't resent her sisters for this. Of course, Cinder would love to go to the ball (who wouldn't?!), but she's not obsessed with it at all. She's accepted her lot in life and knows that pretty dresses and princes aren't for her. This is the story of a hardy and head strong girl who is fighting for her freedom, not trying to tie herself down.

I love that there's a nod to feminism in this story as Cinder is the most successful female mechanic in the city, amongst all the other girls who seem to just be vying for the prince's attention. Certainly Cinder's step mother is very focussed on how her daughters look and how that affects their ability to find a suitably rich husband. Cinder is the breadwinner of the family, singlehandedly supporting her poor family, but she is also kind and just, which makes her richer than her step mother will ever be. She is always willing to help those in need, but also seems unaware of just how kind and special she is, making you love her even more.

There is an element of romance in this story as Cinder starts to fancy the prince, but this is not at all the focal point of the story, which was a relief for me. There is nothing more annoying than a story in which the be all and end all is whether or not the boy gets the girl. Or in this case, the cyborg. I suspect the romance will be developed much more in the later books, but I am glad that the focus of the first novel was Cinder and her plight, rather than a teen romance.

One of the things that I loved most about this story is that it was set in New Beijing and not the US or the UK. I will admit there is a lot more diversity in books now than there used to be but we are still sorely lacking books set in non-Western countries in my opinion. Admittedly, the fact that we are in New Beijing doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the plot bar the fact that many characters have Chinese names, but it is a step in the right direction. Chinese culture definitely could have been integrated into this novel a lot more, which I would have really enjoyed (Asians ftw!), but it was refreshing nevertheless to read a story set in a completely different place. And, you know, the Cyborgs and stuff.

I'm a sucker for fairy-tale retellings, which are becoming increasingly popular, and this is definitely one of the best I have ever read. Cinderella with a sci-fi twist is something special and will keep you guessing with every page you turn. This is a truly unique fairy-tale retelling that does more than just tell another Cinderella story. This is the story of an outcast girl, desperately seeking freedom. She just happens to meet a prince along the way.

More reviews at: [...]
on 16 March 2017
I wasn’t sure how much would be original or unique, but Meyer crafts the futuristic world of New Bejing as an exciting and different setting for our heroine, Cinder. Cinder is very quickly revealed to be a complex character, battling with her own shame and isolation due to being part cyborg.

“Cinder searched for her voice. Her pulse was throbbing, white spots flickering across her vision. A red warning flickered in the corner of her eye – a recommendation that she calm down. “I didn’t ask to be made like this!”

Cinder’s human emotions and her individuality vie throughout the novel with her mechanical parts and make for a conflicted character. Her perception of herself and the stigma society has for her kind add a darker hue to the story too.

Cinder meets Prince Kai in the very first chapter, and immediately the reader feels for Cinder and her situation.

The novel’s pace is excellent – obstacles such as the plague, Cinder’s troubled relationships with her step-family and the gradual discovery about her own background develop the story well. The sub-plot of Prince Kai and royal relations with the Lunar race, with their queen and the prospect of War become intertwined with the main plot. Cinder faces difficult choices throughout, whether to do what’s best for her, or Prince Kai or the country and planet at large.
on 16 November 2016
Haven't put it down since I've started reading it. The book arrived the next working day and was posted through my mailbox. I was looking forward to start reading it. Great selection pry. I never know what is going to happen next. It has a very unpredictable story line. It takes a traditional story take into a futuristic setting. Very easy read, no complications or not full of metaphors which can Ben difficult to read. I would suggest this book for ages 16+ but saying that it is a mature book. Haven't finished the book yet, but so far I am excited about the story.

I received is product at a discounted price with the choice of leaving an honest review. This in no way effects the quality or honesty of my review. I base my review on the full value of the product.
I am in no way afiliated with Amazon or the seller to effect or persuade my review.
on 30 August 2017
A great rethink on the Cinderella story that captures the imagination from the start, already read it , and bought Scarlet, read that and now on Cress. Tho
roughly enjoyed the first two and already into the third. Novel way of combining all three characters and highly recommend for anyone who's into update of Disney classics
on 13 March 2017
I'm on the fence with this one. I liked it but I also didn't. After thinking on it a while, I think my issue with it was that there was way too much going on for me to fully get into the story. However, besides that personal opinion I recognise that this is a really unique book and well worth a read if you want to rediscover the classics in a way you've never read them before.
on 16 May 2013
The cover of Cinder really appealed to me, I had seen it about quite a lot so I was intrigued.

Cinder is a bold retelling of a classic fairy tale. It's interesting to see a completely different take. I think my favourite thing about Cinder was the storyline surrounding the plague. I found that really intriguing.

I thought Cinder was a great character. She had great spirit. I didn't quite grow to love Prince Kai, I found him quite bland. Cinder's house robot Iko is incredibly adorable.

I know this is a series but I felt that Cinder left a few too many things left unanswered. It would've been nice to have more of a background as well. I do look forward to reading Scarlet, the next in the series.
on 4 June 2016
The beginning was slow and wasn't drawing me in as much as it should have. However, when it reaches the mid point, the book drastically picks up pace, and the conflict heightens. I found it hard to put down! The climax was also so surprising it made me gasp out loud. The writing isn't inspired, but it is readable, and the book itself is enjoyable. Would recommend, and will be picking up Scarlet!
on 21 February 2014
It was an interesting retelling of Cinderella only more futuristic, with people living on the moon and cyborgs living amongst people.

I liked the story but wasn't blown away by it. It kept me reading but at the same time I wasn't completely absorbed into it, like I am most other stories.

The thing between Cinder and Kai was cute, I just wish their had been more scenes of them together in the book.

I'm intrigued by what will happen in the next book, and maybe at some point I'll buy it and read it.
on 26 December 2016
Arrived earlier than estimated and in great condition. Great book so far, I'm not much of a fan of sci-do but I've gotten hooked on Cinder, it's an interesting adaptation of a classic fairy tale. I have ordered the rest of the series- brilliant