Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2013
A well written book that was easy to read and had a good plot. Unfortunately I found the book lacked depth, which meant I didn't feel particularly attached to the two main characters and thus remained emotionally detached throughout. I pretty much guessed the plot from early on, so didn't find the story exciting. Not sure if I will read the sequels. I would imagine the book could convert well into a movie and do quite expect to see it in the cinemas sometime.
on 22 February 2015
The rich live well while the poorest suffer. Similar ideas to Hunger Games but I like Day's character a lot. He is fragile but powerful, caring but street savvy. Interested to see where it goes.
on 27 April 2017
great
on 21 May 2017
Sceptical that this would be on par with Divergent and The Hunger Games, but boy did it live up to its reputation. Found myself fighting sleep to read the next chapter.
on 6 April 2017
IN LOVE THE PLOT IT IS SO INTRICATE AND AMAZING I CAN'T WAIT TI READ THE NEXT ONRE
BREST BOOK ECER
on 5 May 2014
Great little read to take you some place else. Definitely requires a read so give it a go you won't be disappointed if you like books like thg or divergent
on 6 February 2012
"You're brilliant," he says. "But you're a fool to stay with someone like me." I close my eyes at the touch of his hand. "Then we're both fools."
This is the second dystopian book I've read this week that has completely surpassed my expectations and I have to say, Legend is a powerful, addictive and fast paced novel that is action packed, with an explosive storyline and a love story that will leave you begging for more.

June and Day are both 15 years old who both live in completely different worlds and both will do anything for the ones they love. The only thing is, Day is the worlds most wanted criminal and June is the super intelligent girl working for the Republic. When Day breaks into a hospital to try to find medicine for his sick brother, he is accused of murdering June's brother, Metias. So June makes it her mission to hunt down Day and capture him so he can no longer run around the streets of Los Angeles'. However, when June finally meets Day for the first time, he's not like how the Republic have made him out to be - he's kind, sweet and not at all a monster but who is the real monster in this story.....Day or the Republic?

I'm so thrilled to have loved this book as much as everyone else because I'd heard a few mixed reviews recently but after reading the first two chapters, I was hooked. Marie Lu captivated me from start to finish and made me want to continue reading about the story and characters even when I finished the book. Now I have a long and painful wait until September for the next instalment.

What I noticed and loved about this book was how very unique the characters were. Both June and Day are portrayed as very different characters but if anything they are more alike than anyone else. They are very smart, very brave and very loyal and even with everything going on in their crazy world; they manage to stay true to themselves. What I had to keep reminding myself through-out this book, was that they are only 15 years old. Sometimes they appear to much older and I personally think 15 is a little young for this book but with June being a super smart kid and Day being Day, I guess it fits with the story and it's something I can overlook.

Now the romance in the book isn't the main focus of the story, it's the back story and something you know is there but doesn't truly reveal itself until the very last moment. I have to say, I wished for more romance BUT the ending did leave me very content and satisfied, so I have very high hopes for the next book.

Overall, Marie Lu has created a fascinating, dangerous and thrilling world with Legend, one full of exciting twists and turns, full of betrayal and full of hidden secrets that will have you sitting on the edge of your sit until the very last page. A must read for any dystopian fan! I loved it!
on 24 February 2013
15-year-old Day has lived on the streets since he took the compulsory test known as The Trial (where every child's value to society is tested) and failed. He should have died then, but somehow he escaped and has been fending for himself on the streets of Los Angeles ever since. But Day has so much more to care about than where his next meal will come from and avoiding the police: for the Republic of America's most notorious criminal, life is one rebellious act after another. The world Day inhabits is in the future, a bleak future where the United States has been divided into two - East and West, or the Colonies and the Republic. The Republic is responsible for the death of Day's father as well as for Day's living conditions, and Day will do whatever it takes to bring the government down. His only friend is Tess, a girl he found wandering the streets and who quickly became his best friend. But Day's world, and his plans for the Republic, come crashing down around him the day he sees a three-lined cross on his mother's door which can only mean one thing: either his mother or one of his brothers has caught the plague.

Meanwhile, June, also 15, is the Republic's Prodigy. Ever since scoring perfectly on her Trial, she has gone from strength to strength in the eyes of the Republic and is set for an important career in the military, just like her older brother Metias. But then Day, in his efforts to procure a cure for the plague, kills her brother and June becomes more determined than ever to find Day and arrest him. But while Day is consumed with anger and a burning hatred for the Republic that comes with being poor and downtrodden, wealthy June has a naive innocence concerning the Republic and it is this that will ultimately land both her and Day in more trouble than either bargained for.

This is a thrilling dystopian tale which fans of Hunger Games and also Veronica Roth's Divergent will adore. This is without a doubt the next big thing, the next Young Adult series we've all been waiting for. Lu writes beautifully and she brings Day, June, Tess, Metias, and all the other characters to life. The first person perspectives of Day and June are refreshing and enlightening; these are two people who begin the story believing they are chalk and cheese, but when they bury beneath the lies of the Republic and discover the person beneath, June's inner master criminal is unearthed while Day's inner prodigy is discovered. They couldn't be more alike if they tried.

I admit, I loved Day the most. I love handsome YA heroes and Day doesn't disappoint. He will go to the ends of the earth to help those he loves, and his bravery and desire to change the world making him all the more loveable. He's rough around the edges, because of course he lives on the streets, but this too is appealing.

But it is June that the plot hangs on because it is June's naivity that brings trouble and tragedy to Day's life, and it is June that it is left with the difficult decision that will change lives forever: does she side with Day, this charming young man who has opened her eyes to the way of the world, or the Republic, the state she was brought up to honour and respect above all else?

There are plenty of mysteries to discover in this book, plenty of plot points you'll be dying to try to work out. After all, this is the Republic of America and secrets and lies are their speciality. You know those books that are so good you're desperate to finish it and find out what happens, but at the same time you desperately DON'T want to finish it because then it's all over? Legend is one of those books. I don't understand why Legend isn't bigger than it is: Legend deserves to be Hunger Games big. But when I was trying to find Prodigy (the sequel) on the high street, I couldn't find it anywhere, which was very disappointing. Believe me when I tell you, though, you will not forget Legend. This is a book to remember.
22 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2013
It had the making of being a fantastic book but it just wasn't. It wasn't terrible, but it was extremely under explained in every aspect. It never explained how the world had got like that with build of the Patriots and the organisation that June works for, the author also didn't explain how Day came to become a wanted prisoner! Sure he robbed a few places and escaped their death penalty at the Trial but before they suspected he'd killed Metias, he'd never killed.
The thing that drew me to this book was the whole idea of the Trial and how interesting it sounded but there was really not much to it. The one bit I did find interesting about Day and his Trial just seemed to disappear as if it were irrelevant but I think it could have led somewhere,but it may explained in later books.
Will I read the other books? Probably not, I've got a lot of good books on my wish list at the moment and I'm not interested enough in June and Day's insta-love story enough for Prodigy to make the list. Especially after I heard that Tess (Day's little sister figure) is introduced as a love interest for Day... Ew.
Good things about this book: The bond between June and her brother was beautiful and his death had me in tears and that was only very soon into the book.
on 27 July 2014
Legend is yet another dystopian young adult read. I say this as a dystopian young adult fan! I’m not knocking it. I did wonder if it would be any different to the others out there. It’s got a lot of similarities to other books, namely Divergent, but it’s not too similar that it’s a complete rip off. Legend is an incredible, engaging, quick read that I devoured.

Legend is told through two narratives, our kick-ass main characters Day and June. Both voices are clear, it’s never confusing to catch up with who is narrating. Their chapters are also handily in different fonts, which is always a nice touch. I loved Day and June. They are really smart characters and don’t need to rely on their looks, others or just luck. I love intelligent characters. I didn’t quite get on with them being so young. They seemed much more mature than fifteen, but that was only a slight niggle. Marie Lu has developed such an intriguing world and I felt it built nicely throughout. The government in are completely corrupt. It’s really quite disturbing how mean and violent they are.

There’s romance within the story, but I don’t feel like it’s at the forefront and for a book like Legend, that was absolutely fine for me. I was more interested in the storyline than the romance. Perhaps the romance will develop in later books… I’m yet to discover, but I’m intrigued to see how it turns out.

I was captivated from the start with this action-packed story. I can’t wait to read Prodigy to see how the story continues. This could be in the running for my favourite series read this year!