Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2015
I absolutely loved this book! Prodigy was far superior in ways in which Legend fell down, in my opinion. This book hooked me from the get-go and I ended up reading it in 2 sittings, in less than 24 hours. I thought both the pacing and the writing was vastly improved from the first book in this series.

In Prodigy, we follow June and Day as they struggle to identify whom they can trust. As they get sucked into a ruthless battle for control of the Republic, their relationship is tested as the cultural differences between them become more apparent. Though they still share a strong connection, and are undeniably attracted to one another, their vastly different upbringings threaten to tear them apart. I always love a strong romance element to these type of fast-paced action-packed adventures, and Marie Lu doesn't fail to deliver in this regard. June and Day are loyally protective of each other and it's really sweet. Sometimes I struggle to relate this with the fact that they are only 15, however, they are presented as mature 15-year-olds with strong intelligence and keen observational skills, so I can overlook it.

The plot is a lot less predictable in this book, and the suspense and drama is deliciously built the whole way through the novel. There were a couple of twists at the end that I didn't see coming, and I always love when the author retains the ability to surprise me.

The ending was so shocking, and bittersweet, and my heart was literally in my mouth. Now I can't wait to read Champion to see how things end up for June and Day.
on 14 December 2014
Now, this book is going to be tough to review for two reasons. Firstly, I always find it hard to review a sequel. The second reason I’m going to find this review tough to write is the fact that I’m not enjoying the series as much as I’d hoped. Don’t get me wrong, I am likingthe series. I just expected this book to impress me.

I really enjoyed Legend, the first book in the series, so I was really looking forward to Prodigy. However, as soon as I started Prodigy, I felt lost. I felt like there could have been more of a recap. I also thought it was quite slow going until around halfway through. If you’re not a fan of the love triangle in YA, I don’t think the love square will impress you that much!

However, it’s not all bad. It’s action packed (once it gets going) with plot twists a plenty. It’s what has made me give it a 3.5 star rating. It also wasn’t predictable at all which is always commendable. The ending of this book is quite shocking and I’m sure heartbreaking for many fans of the series. So don’t be put off by the negatives that cropped up for me. Your experience reading it might well be better. I do intend to continue the series as well at some point. I just won’t be rushing to read it.
on 13 March 2017
For later reading along with 'Champion' and 'Legend.
on 27 April 2017
great
on 26 May 2013
WOW! What can I say, totally hooked on this dystopian love story! Loved it, lived up to all my expectations & a truly excellent sequel to Legend...the explosive finale has left me wanting more, I can't wait for the final book in this compelling trilogy!
on 8 September 2017
Was pretty good, dramatised poles of what the USA may see parts of its self as, relevant at this time politically, great book for young adults
on 26 August 2014
Good book
on 25 June 2014
Couldn't put it down. Read book 1 & 2 in 3 days. Can't wait to read the next book. Truly talented author.
on 29 January 2013
After much thought, I now feel comfortable saying that Prodigy is better than Legend. Yep, you heard that right. The middle book in the trilogy was better than the first. A rare occurence, right? And yet Marie Lu managed to pull it off.

In Prodigy, the stakes felt much higher, and the risks were greater. In Legend, I didn't feel too worried about how it would end, and what would happen to the characters. Day and June are main characters, and they're not going to be killed off in the first book in the series. They're not Ned Stark. In this fantastic sequel, however, I felt as though everything could collapse around them as they fought for their lives.
We learnt a bit about the Colonies, which is something I had been looking forward to since I started reading Legend. I'm so glad that Lu made the Colonies the way they are. I won't say too much, but it really punched the characters in the gut when they learnt these things.

In addition to learning about the Colonies, we also learnt more about the world outside of what was once the United States of America. Again, this was something that I was DYING to learn about. It's not very often that, in my experience at least, and author explains what has happened to the rest of the world. We learn about Europe, Africa, Asia, and even Antarctica. Australia was mentioned briefly, which was very true to all the other dystopian novels and movies out there *wink*

I adored June in this book. She has quickly become my favourite out of the two leads. She's so clever and calculating, and the way she puts everything together in this book was both impressive and wonderful. I was cheering her on the entire time.

As for Day... Well, he annoyed me. He wasn't too bad, but he did doubt June a lot, and since I'm quickly becoming a June mega-fan, I didn't like it. I did love how much he cared for her, though. Even if he did act like a prat and then wasn't sincere with his apology. Grrr.

We also got to see more of Kaede in this book, which I LOVED. I think she's a fantastic character, and I loved learning about her background.

In Prodigy we are also introduced to a new character called Anden. He's the new Elector, and the target of the Patriots assassination plot. I really liked him, and I think he's a decent person, I just wish we could have learnt more about him in this book. I wanted to feel more of a connection.

There is one tearjerking scene in this that made me curl up in a ball and roll around on the floor. It was so upsetting, at least for me. Marie Lu's writing in that scene was fantastic.

I am so, so pleased that Marie Lu managed to pull this book off. It was thrilling, fast paced, and packed full of great action scenes. The characters and storyline were always on the go. Overall thoughts? I loved it!
on 19 March 2016
It took me a while to get into this, what with it being a few years since I read the first book, but I remembered bits.

There was a bit of a surprise thrown in but by the time it came about I was kind if expecting something like that to happen anyway.

I'm going to have to read the third and final book in the series just to see if they manage to reunite the Americas but I'm not too excited about it all.

Off to start it now