on 26 September 2013
Having waited a year for this book I couldn't wait to get my teeth into it. The previous four books in the series are excellent and this instalment is no less brilliant. You really do need to have read the previous books to understand the story and characters though. Don't try reading this if you haven't.

Set just after event from The Enemy and running simultaneously to events in The Sacrifice (The Enemy) the surviving kids that reached the Natural History Museum now have new problems to contend with. Not only do they have to get along with a new group of kids that are initially suspicious of them, but there is also someone sabotaging their safe haven, (read The Enemy to learn about who this is).

The museum kids have a bit of a science division set up and are trying to work out what is causing the illness in adults, possibly even to find a cure. They are, however, not fighters. This is where Blue, Maxie, Big Mick and the rest of the gang come in. They can provide the muscle and security needed on an expedition suggested by the lead `scientist', Einstein. He wants to go to a scientific research facility near Heathrow to get medical supplies and research equipment to use in their labs at the museum.

As with most events throughout this series things are never easy and the trip across London gets a bit messy. The sickos cause problems as normal and the two groups of kids argue about how to do things and who should be in charge. A clash of personalities amongst teenagers... Who would have thought it possible?

Once at the facility there are more new problems and mysteries to work out. Who is at this place? What are they? Are they safe? It's a rather strange turn of events and at first I was unsure whether Mr Higson had maybe taken things a bit too far down the weirdness route. However, things are explained and it is worth reading this book just for these new additions to the already amazing character roster.
The character list is brilliant in that you feel different things towards them all. Love, hate, pity, sadness, respect... you want the good guys to succeed and the bad guys to get their just deserts. None of them ever feel like they don't serve any purpose in the story.

The series is quite a gruesome one and has had more than its fair share of blood and gore splattered scenes. The Sacrifice had slightly less of it though and this book is along the same level. Again, it seems to focus more on the kids working together and creating groups of differing skill sets than on constantly killing sickos. It's this building of the central characters that makes the series so brilliant. Some of them change as events unfold, some of them don't. Some are natural leaders, whilst others just like to think they are. Some put on a brave face whilst being inwardly terrified, and others are just in it for the fight and don't appear to be afraid of anything. Constant battling would just get tedious. The people need to be interesting to keep your attention, and they certainly keep your attention here. All these groups of people mean there are various plots running simultaneously. All of them are great and I can't wait to find out how they pull together. This book makes a start on this in a welcome event that led to an intriguing twist.

As I understand it there are to be seven main books in total, so I'm guessing that the stories are going to really start coming together in the next two books. Unfortunately, that means waiting another year for my fix of kids vs. sickos.

Also, see if you can spot and work out the anagram that Mr Higson has used for the name of something.
on 5 October 2013
I have read all of The Enemy series and each time I wish I could fast forward to next year so that I can read the next installment. Charlie Higson's ability to write gross scenario's in an entertaining way keeps you gripped to the story line. He bounces from one scene to another, sometimes fitting in fragments from previous books in the series which you vaguely remember, and cant help going " a-ha" when it registers. I read the first book to see if it was appropriate for my kids age group. I was 39 at the time and bit all my nails off and finished it in 2 days. I found it terrifying. I let my 12 year old daughter read it with some reservation but she coped much better with the really scary bits than I did. Now I wait with baited breathe every September, looking forward to what happens next. Bring it on.
This is the fifth book in Charlie Higson's epic (in every sense) zombie saga - The Enemy. There were only supposed to be three of these books in the series. I believe that there are now going to be seven. I cannot say how delighted I am that he decided to extend this story. It is clever, thoughtful, horrible and brilliant.

In some senses the books remind me rather of The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I think it's because Higson focuses on what happens after an apocalyptic event, and how people try to reassert a sense of normality and build a future for themselves, even when surrounded by a perpetual and encroaching threat.

If you are new to the series, this is not the place to start. You need to go back and read the books from the beginning to make any real sense of what is going on here. Characters are well established by now, plot lines are ongoing, and the story is becoming deeper and more complex. You will miss much of the subtlety of the story and the hints of the deeper truths that are starting to emerge about what has happened to the adults. It's well worth making the effort to invest in all the books. You won't regret it.

I'm not going to say anything else about the story other than that it gripped me from first to last. I read it in a single sitting. I'm gutted that I now have to wait until the autumn for the next one. Write, Higson! Write!
on 18 September 2013
I was extremely excited after waiting a whole year to get my hands on this book, and boy it was definitely not a disappointment.
Charlie Higson is a genius in the way that everything starts to connect together, it's amazing. The book is definitely worth a read if you've read the other books.
The book itself is action packed and makes an advancement on the disease itself. The book provides the background and the cause of the disease along with our favourite characters from The Enemy, the Holloway gang. It's thrilling and action packed and I highly recommend it to anyone.
on 9 January 2014
This book series appeals to me SO much, I absolutely love these books. I'm an 18 year old boy, started reading this series when the first book came out maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and every time I am so pumped for the next stage. This book was an excellent continuation and every book never fails to hit you with a perfect mix of action and death, along with friendships and peace. They also always mix in old characters with new characters, and my favourite part is when different groups of kids that are usually in different areas doing different things meet up, and this book contains plenty of these too. Definitely buy it. Start with the first one though, it gets complicated.
on 21 September 2013
If you have read the previous books you will know that the series is already full of great books, this is no exception.
I found myself thoroughly engrossed into the story with my heart in my mouth at points, all credit to Charlie higson now probably my favourite author. Every chapter entices you to read more and I have often discovered I have been reading for many hours and way past when I would normally be asleep,
If you were to buy this book, I can't plead enough for you to read the previous novels in the series as it all knits together beautifully and you don't get the full experience but fans of the series; BUY THIS BOOK!
on 6 November 2013
Another instalment of The Fallen series and it doesn't disappoint. More of the usual gruesome descriptions and furthering the storyline. Just brilliant. Tension and stress from the very beginning to the absolute end. The episode just doesn't give you any break from the fear. However, the ending will leave you screaming at Charlie Higson. Ahhhhhhhh. Why have you done this to us? Left it with such a cliff hanger!!! I have to admit, I was fuming. I hope Mr Higson is writing the next book as we speak. Awesome series.
on 14 September 2013
book 5 in the enemy series sees the return of the main kids from book 1, maxie, blue etc. they arrive at the natural history museum to deal with the aftermath of when paul released the sickos at the end of bk 3- the fear. theres plenty of gore and action though less than the other books. the story develops more and we meet the fallen who are something totally new. there are many sad parts as higson really makes you care for these kids and all they are dealing with. it ends on a cliffhanger so book 6 cannot come quick enough. overall its a great read, for me its the 4th best book in the series, mainly due to my favourite characters not being in it (sam the kid and Ed) all 5 books have been amazing and the story is developing more from just the survival story of the 1st few books. bring on book 6 soon Mr Higson.
on 6 October 2013
Loved and adored all of these books. I know I am an adult but how scary are these book especially for teenagers..couldn't wait for this book to come out. Just wish it had lasted longer I feel really invested in these characters and can't wait for the next one...
on 27 February 2014
No one is safe.
No one may survive the author's brutal approach to character development.
No one will be able to sleep again...
I just wish there was a pattern, a definable ending in sight.