on 26 November 2017
Love rick Riordan and its just the second best one in the Percy Jackson series (the best is the first one) I like how he has split it so he tells you what happens to each group at the same time and it is very smart and dislike wise that's difficult I find it hard to find flaws considering I can't write better and these books are the reason I am into mythology so I highly recommend this book to all above the age of nine so they can understand the mythology and understand the random plot twists and funny moments e.g (in book four the battle of the labyrinth Rachel Elizabeth Dare through a plastic hair brush at the titan lord kronos or cronos)
on 8 January 2013
I really enjoy the Rick Riordan books, I've read all of the Percy Jackson series, and all up to present of the Heroes of Olympus series. This book, although not quite as entertaining action-wise as the other books, it does give an insight into some of the other characters, and involves Annabeth more. I've almost finished the book, within a couple of weeks, although I've made it last as previously I've read the previous books in the series in one go

If you are into Greek Mythology, or even if you aren't and want an entertaining book, I recommend this, and the other books in the series. They have all re-ignited my interest in Gods and Monsters.

UPDATE 30/01/2013: Just got around to finishing this book, and although I still think its brilliantly written, I wasn't keen on the ending - it was only a "kind-of" cliff-hanger with not enough tension. The slight downside on the ending wasn't enough to knock it down a star though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 March 2014
My children, aged ten and seven have been steadily making our way through the Percy Jackson series since last year. We finished this, the second book in the Heroes of Olympus series last night, and they have already put the third book on my desk, ready for me to read to them tonight.

Needless to say, we love them. Rick Riordan is a master when it comes to updating ancient mythology in an inventive and contemporary way. His knowledge and love for the old stories is showcased in the way he so brilliantly puts them in a new setting without losing any of the spirit of the original stories. Funny, clever and full of characters you will grow to love, this series goes from strength to strength.
on 7 June 2017
I gave this book five stars because of its extraordinary plot and amazing use of vocabulary. Not only this but Rick Riordan is an amazing author and is very imaginative. I would recommend this book to 10+ as even adults would enjoy this. There is romance, drama, mixed with fiction, history and even culture! I have already read this entire series and I thought it was so amazing I just had to read it again! My greatest regards to the author, illustrator, publishers and whoever else put this incredible book together and obviously you for taking you time to read my review of Heroes of Olympus: The son of Neptune, book 2.

A reader of the Rick Riordan.
on 12 March 2014
I'm writing on behalf of my son, 11 years old, who came home at half term from school with the first book of this series (having read the first series about a year ago), he read it within 3 days and when were unable to get this second book form our local library until after the holiday I had to come to the rescue and download it onto my kindle for him. He read The Son of Neptune over the next 3 days and moved staight onto the follow-up, which we were able to get from the library. He is now finishing off the final book in this series, so all I can say is they have got to be good. I haven't seen him read with such enthusiasm for a long time and it's fabulous!
on 12 April 2016
I really enjoyed this book after reading the first Heroes of Olympus title and the whole of the preceding Percy Jackson series. The Lost Hero got me hooked on this series and I knew that it was going to be just as good as, or even better than Riordan's first, so I just had to read The Son of Neptune as soon as possible.

Now I can say, after reading the story with my son, that it definitely lived up to my expectations. This had everything that was good in the previous books along with a killer new plot. Rick Riordan is a fantastic author, writing in both a humorous and a much more serious tone for the suspenseful action scenes. This series hasn’t ceased to impress me so far, and I love the fact that these stories keep the characters that we all love (Percy, Annabeth, Grover etc.), while adding in some great new personalities such as Jason, the son of Zeus.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the Percy Jackson books, but also to those who haven't had a chance to read the last series. My son really enjoyed reading this with me, and all of his friends are reading Riordan's work too- these books are a great way to get kids interested in reading!
on 19 June 2016
This book is in the same vein as Rick Riordans other Greek/ Roman themed books. The writing is interesting and entertaining as usual. My only criticism is that book one did not complete its story and you are forced into buying book two for the conclusion, this book is also open ended. I assume you have to read all five to get to a conclusion, which is no hardship.
on 2 November 2012
I purchased this book for my 12 year old son. This series has him hooked and the latest book was long awaited. Rick Riorden is the only thing that tears him away from his playstation. As a parent I feel Rick Riorden has done for young male readers what Stephanie Mayer did with Twilight for girls. My son has written the following review on this book. "Heroes of Olympus is Percy Jackson at his best. Rick Riordan has recreated his best selling book in action, adventure and mythology. You can learn history while reading a fictional story combined with fictional characters."
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 16 January 2013
I loved the percy jackson series and this olympus series is equal in its ast-paced adventure and surprises that Rick Riordan has created through exploring the Greek and Roman legends of the Gods and Goddesses. This book especially is brilliant as it brings together many characters who for a time, have been seperated, and for a good cause! But now that the 7 heroes are together and facing many challenges, it is a book I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, though it is ideal to read the first 2 books first, and also before that, the 5 books in the PJ series. Also I would like to add, both series are not just for teenagers... the knowledge learnt through the interesting pages has made me aware of the depth of the greek and roman gods, which has made me fascinated and wanting to learn more. To everyone, from 8 to 108, I urge to read this book: you WILL be blown away!
on 6 October 2012
this book is well written and generally amazing! yet another thrilling installment from rick riordan who does not disapoint. the part most of us readers have been waiting for a year-the reunion is adventurous romantic and humurous;just like the rest of the book.
the boook has more romance than the previous books but it's cute (especially the percy and annabeth scenes) and it doesn't take any of the action from the book. thisdoes sadly end on a cliffhanger (almost literally),like the other two but is not as bad as the one in son of neptune. basically an amazing, fantastic, wonderful book - the best yet. we may have had to wait a yer but it was well worth it.