Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2014
I wasn't sure about ordering a board book (it was a present for my nephew) but when they arrived (I brought 'The very quiet cricket' at the same time) I was impressed.
I was familiar with both these stories.
I work with preschool children and they love guessing which animal will appear next.
Eric Carle uses those lovely onomatopoeic words describing the noises of the animals and birds, introducing new vocabulary. Just as enjoyable for the adult to read expressively.
on 20 May 2015
The artwork in this book is good, in the usual Eric Carle style. Some of the animals are quite exotic, so for some of them (flamingo and peacock) it is quite difficult to figure out what sort of noise they make. The flow to the book also seems a little off on occasion when you're reading out loud (boa constrictor and hippopotamus are too long to fit properly). Brown Bear, Brown Bear is a better book, but this does introduce some more exotic animals.
on 15 January 2016
My son loves this story, especially when we make the noises of the animals, although what noise does a hippo make??
on 10 June 2014
Lovely book, my 2 year old girl loves it. We also have 'Brown Bear, Brown bear what do you see?' which I prefer because it is much simpler & teaches the colours aswell. In this book a snake is called a boa constrictor - hardly a name that a 2 year kid needs to know! Also it is difficult to make all the sounds effects but overall a good book with repetitive language. Would recommend
on 24 May 2011
Similar to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, this is great for young kids. It's a great introduction to books, we started at 12 months or just before that and the kids keep going back. All three of mine have loved this. This is my second purchase because the first book became so worn by the third child that we bought it again.
on 3 June 2011
After the raving success of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? This Eric Carle book is similarly written and beautifully illustrated. The familiar language pattern is great for young children and the variety of new animals causes great delight. Fully recommended for any Eric Carle fans!
on 24 February 2013
I have the Brown Bear version of this so assumed this would be as good. I'm not so impressed, particularly trying to make the noises of all of the animals, but we had a go. The children didn't stay so focussed on this one, although they did like trying to move like the animals.
on 4 March 2013
My 10 month old son absolutely adores this book. The repetition of a key phrase throughout the book ensures that a small child can follow the gist of what it is about. My little boy adores the illustrations and we frequently have to read this three times in a row!
on 29 August 2009
The children loved making the animal noises as we read the book together. It's also a great tool for introducing animals to children. With little writing in the book, you can make it different by asking questions, (colour, size, where the animal lives, etc).
on 7 February 2010
What a lovely book. I used it for the senses as it reinforced the hearing sense as children find this hard to describe. It is all about the sounds heard around the zoo so could also be linked to a zoo or animal topic. A good book!