Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2001
Apparently this book is good for the older child, but our sons are 24 months and 11 months and they both adore it. Reliably, this is the one they will pick up time and time again, and bring it to their long-suffering parents who will then through gritted teeth agree to read it out, making all the appropriate noises (how do you bellow like a walrus or flute like a flamingo, anyway?) until hoarse. The repetition is what it's all about, really. The illustrations are fine though stylised. I do wish that the "boa constrictor" was a generic "snake" as I suspect my children will now grow up thinking all snakes are boa constrictors.
I have given this book 5 stars because that is what it would get from the children. I have to admit that unlike the Dr Seuss books, which I never tire of reading again and again, I do get heartily sick of the sight of this one. Having said that, it is not full of all-white or all-male characters (by which I mean animals which are 'he') in the manner of so many children's books.
Your children will love it. You have been warned...
on 11 April 2000
We sing the lines to this wonderful book. We make the sounds of the animals, and although we have read the book so many times the pages are worn, the kids do not mind. I have just as much fun as they do reading this wonderful book that teaches colors, names of animals, and more!
on 2 January 2008
We got the board book version of this book out of the library for our nearly two year old, and she loves it! The illustrations are fun and colourful, and the story is simple with easy rhymes and repetition. A perfect book to read aloud at the end of the day.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 August 2015
... to start with. These days you expect a high level of realism and 3D depth in illustration, perhaps perfected with a sophisticated graphics package. So when we got Brown Bear, Brown Bear, I must say I didn't like the illustration and the text seemed repetitive. But actually, the repetitive simple rhyme that runs thought this book, and similarly in the Brown Bear book, is perfect for young children from 1 until about 6. They love it. We had to read Brown Bear most days for two years! Now we have Polar Bear, Polar Bear to continue with and actually I loved reading these books and so does my daughter. She loved the illustrations and I realised that they are indeed perfect for children, because they understand them to be artist impressions. They look like a child's collage, but a perfect child's collage. Something that a child can aspire to achieve. The bold shapes and colours are exciting for children and they want to explore the pictures, identifying each animals features and also thinking about how the collage could be drawn, cut and stuck together.

With the question to each animal, "what to you hear?" (as oppose to "what do you see?" in Brown Bear), this book further encourages the child's imagination and understanding of animals as creatures that see and hear as we can. This book has some wonderful illustrations of animals that a child may also get to see at a zoo or wildlife park (as oppose to some of the fictitious ones like the blue horse and purple cat in Brown Bear).

Another great book teaching sounds, colours, animals and encouraging artist thought.
on 20 July 2009
My daughter adored this book, especially as she loves anything to do with animals. I bought a second copy for her class at the local school in France as they are just starting to learn english. It is very popular and holds their attention. Worth buying.
Ever since a first-grade teacher friend of mine introduced us to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? we have been really excited and delighted with these seemingly simple and entertaining little books. We had gone over that book numerous times with our baby boy, and when he started approaching one year of age he *really* got interested in it. So we decided to take a look at some other books in the series, including this one.

The premise of this little book is similar that of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?: various animals are asked what they hear, and they point to other animals. All the questions are posed as simple rhymes, and this is one of the main charms of this book. The illustrations are simple yet interesting, and kids will definitely find them fascinating. Unlike Brown Bear, Brown Bear, this book eschews some fanciful animal colors (like purple cat and blue horse), and sticks with the "real" animals. This book also features some more exotic animals (like the boa constrictor) and challenges kids to learn about the creatures one can probably only see at the zoo. The book also teaches about animal sounds, something that even most adults are not too familiar with. In fact, it's the educational value of these books that I delight the most in.

I have not taken a look at the other versions of this book, but the board book is definitely well designed and immensely suitable for very young kids. Could not recommend it more.
on 20 May 2015
The artwork in this book is good, in the usual Eric Carle style. Some of the animals are quite exotic, so for some of them (flamingo and peacock) it is quite difficult to figure out what sort of noise they make. The flow to the book also seems a little off on occasion when you're reading out loud (boa constrictor and hippopotamus are too long to fit properly). Brown Bear, Brown Bear is a better book, but this does introduce some more exotic animals.
on 11 February 2009
If you like Brown Bear Brown Bear, what do you see? then you will love this one just as much.

My boy is 2.5yrs old and has enjoyed the brown bear book for a little over a year now. Having the same familiar prose has made this one a firm favorite too. Great for learning new animals and teaching the sounds.
on 10 June 2014
Lovely book, my 2 year old girl loves it. We also have 'Brown Bear, Brown bear what do you see?' which I prefer because it is much simpler & teaches the colours aswell. In this book a snake is called a boa constrictor - hardly a name that a 2 year kid needs to know! Also it is difficult to make all the sounds effects but overall a good book with repetitive language. Would recommend
on 8 January 2014
I wasn't sure about ordering a board book (it was a present for my nephew) but when they arrived (I brought 'The very quiet cricket' at the same time) I was impressed.
I was familiar with both these stories.
I work with preschool children and they love guessing which animal will appear next.
Eric Carle uses those lovely onomatopoeic words describing the noises of the animals and birds, introducing new vocabulary. Just as enjoyable for the adult to read expressively.