Customer reviews

Matched: 1/3
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2016
A plausible future, civilisation and efficiency in overdrive, a classic theme of forbidden love and the coming of age frustration of being controlled all combine in an addictive read. I am buying the sequel now.
on 20 September 2017
Nice book
on 15 May 2017
Worth and read, enjoyed these books
on 26 January 2013
I really love this book! The characters are great, especially Cassia! I love how she grows throughout the book! But I love the ending! Cassia's faith, hope and passion at the end is truly inspirational and has this sort of thread that attaches you to the series and makes you impatient and dying to read the rest.
on 6 January 2013
Started off really strong, with a strong plot. But there is so much of it that is unbelievable and cliché. Parts of it just seemed very frustrating
on 24 February 2013
i love this book so much, if you read and loved twilight you will adore this is the best book i have ever read. perfect for birthday present
on 8 December 2012
amazing book i loved it from start to finish and cant wait to read the rest i recommend this book to anyone
on 25 November 2010
I wanted this book badly from almost the moment I heard about it. It's the first in a new dystopian trilogy, a sub-genre I'm finding myself more and more in love with. Plus it was getting some fantastic early reviews. So I was delighted when I won an advance copy of it. Matched is completely fantastic. I couldn't put it down. It's fantastically done, beautifully written with an almost poetic quality that made it virtually impossible to not just keep reading and reading.

Cassia is, as the Society inspires, naive and 'perfect'. It's a stark world she lives in, a perfect one, Society decides everything for the best of everyone and they're never wrong. There are 100 songs, 100 poems and so on, never new ones being created. Society says what you do and when, and Cassia has always trusted them, always followed the rules. But at heart, she's a rebel. It barely shows at first, just a hint here and there, but grows as events unfold and things change. And I completely love her character. I felt sorry for her, the way she, and everyone in fact, appears to be puppets rather than human beings with thoughts and feelings. But Cassia's personality grew massively throughout the book and I just loved it.

Ky. Oh Ky! I have a new top level fictional love. He and Cassia have known each other for years, but no one really knows him. He's quite the mystery, not quite like the others. He's smart, awesome, and, well I just love him. There are moments in the book when my heart ached for him, and where I just thought the world of him for little things. Great character.

I really liked Xander, Cassia's best friend and 'Match' as well, and Cassia's family. All the characters are really well drawn. I love how they're all far deeper and more complex than first appears. As the story unfolds, there are layers continually being peeled back, revealing more and more as they go. It's true of the world Cassia lives in as well as the characters actually. More and more gradually being revealed and it's spectacularly done. It creates a tension, a mystery, that I couldn't drag myself away from. I had to know what happened next!

Obviously the romance is a pretty strong theme throughout the book, but it's far from the only one. It's also the story of a girl waking up, realising who she is, what the world around her is like, and how to survive it. It's as much about everything around Cassia as Cassia herself. Perfect blend of internal battle and external one.

The place itself, the world Cassia lives in, scares the hell out of me. Seriously. 100 songs/poems/books/whatever picked years ago and nothing else is allowed to be made/created? Your job/spouse/exercise/food is all dictated by what 'suits you best'. And no one questions it because Society is always right. Everyone is supposed to be equal, everyone is meant to follow the rules, because then everything stays perfect. The Society even decide when you die (it's your 80th birthday in case you're wondering). Scary as hell, maybe because you can see it as real. Censorship taken to the extreme. A dictatorship of evil hidden under the guise of being 'perfect'. It's easy to see the people as puppets, to see their lives as limited and wonder how they don't all go crazy. But it's what they're used to, it's been that way for several generations, so no one questions.

The ending is spectacular. Gripping, intense, beautiful, heart wrenching and brilliant. It was one of those times where you get to the final page and turn it over expecting more because a) you HAVE to know what happens next and b) Why the Heck was it left there?! So now I'm left desperate for the sequal with it among the top of my 'must haves' list for 2011. Matched is easily one of my favourite reads of 2010 and I highly recommend it!
on 10 April 2015
There have been lots of really fantastic YA dystopian trilogies recently so I thought I would try this one, billed as a cross between Delirium and The Selection. My verdict? If you can imagine your high school english teacher reading some of the popular YA trilogies, and then deciding she would cash in on this 'dystopian lark' and write on of her own.... This is EXACTLY what this book is like. It is as though your english teacher has decided not only to try make herself some extra cash, but now is her chance to finally make poetry and english cool. As I finished the book, I checked the authors bio in the front of the book..... And guess what???? She was an English teacher!!

This really shows, as it feels like this poor woman is doing everything she can to desperately catch the interest of young people back into poetry. As an adult, it really grates. As a teenager, I think it might grate even more. Poetry is forbidden, rebellious and totally cool. The most romantic thing the main character can do? Learn to write. (As opposed to only being able to type.) Honestly, if you can type, you DONT need someone to painstakingly draw out each letter with you in the dirt. You know what they look like!!! I like poetry and English, but I do not like it being force fed to me like this book does.

The writing is poor, with lots and lots of 'telling' you how the characters are feeling and what's going on, and very little 'showing' (which is what the really good authors use instead. It makes for a much better story). Unlike other YA dystopian novels, although she creates this world, there just isn't the detail or the background of other novels. We are told the main characters world is like this and this, but there isn't the depth of WHY the world is like that, or WHY there are these crazy rules. Contrast this with 'Delirium' which sounds crazy when you read the premise, but the author cleverly makes that world scarily believable.
If you would like to try it, go for it. But I think you will be disappointed compared to the other gripping and well written trilogies out there. (And think of your poor English teacher when you read it! ;)
on 3 June 2013
I had a lot of difficulty with this book: the main character is weak, but that's (unfortunately) seemingly a trend with these YA dystopias. What really got to me was that, there was no explanation for why this world existed. What happened to make society start matching their young people? What did Ky's parents Dothan was so bad that it continues to affect Ky?

I don't feel like I know this world at all. There is no reason for it.