on 20 September 2017
A great story
on 12 August 2017
Pretty much everyone has heard of the little people under the floorboards who borrow things, until recently I had no idea this was actually a book!

After reading it I have decided that is a childhood must! The whole book has so much creativity and the imagination of Mary Norton phenomenal. You can see why this is loved by so many people, the whole pretence of little people living under the floorboards is so interesting! I’m sure many children grew up believing it and it would also account for all those little things that have gone missing over the years. The story is so magical and I think every child should experience the magical world of the borrowers!

It is such an interesting world, how they use things in their houses e.g. a cigar box as a bedroom, you have to keep reading because it’s so interesting to see how they use these things and they are so clever! They’ve even managed to get hot and cold water from the pipes! It was so fun to read about how everyday items can be transformed into different things used for completely different purposes in the borrower’s lives.

I have grown up with this story having watched the film many times as a child however now being older and reading the book it’s just so much more fun and shows what a great writer Norton is because you are so absorbed in the world of these little people, you get a glimpse into her amazing imagination and I absolutely love it!

The only downside I had was that because of the books age some of the objects now aren’t really used therefore for some younger children it might be difficult to get into the story because they aren’t sure what some of the objects are however the book itself is old and it was obviously written for it’s time so I cannot complain at all. I’m just pointing out that younger readers may have some issues with imagining some of the items (although I’m sure a quick google search could clear up any confusion).

The book has many different aspects that I’m sure children of all ages will enjoy. It will certainly leave you wondering if Borrowers do really exist and maybe you’ll think of them next time something goes missing – maybe they borrowed it? The book is full of adventure and daring and it is a thoroughly enjoyable read.
NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE ABRIDGED BOOK READ BY SAMANTHA BOND.

Samantha Bond has dome something I did not think possible - raised this simple story up to fabulous new heights making it wonderful for the adult and child alike.
Five stars are simply not enough.

Her narration and vocal skills are simply outstanding and exceptional.
She has the voices of each individual character off pat to a wonderful degree.
I simply forgot she was a female actress reading the book and immersed myself into the world of the Borrowers.
Each and every character is supremely portrayed so well by the talented Ms Bond.

Mary Norton has written some brilliant books and I really would urge you to seek them out but in Bond's hands- or should that be voice ? the book is simply lifted to a really new high level.

Now to the book.
Many others will concentrate on the story and the characters in the plot.
So I will not go over well trodden ground.
BUT Samantha Bond simply brings out the deeper hidden depths of the book to a again- I'll use that word- deeper meaning.
The story itself is told to a young child by Mrs May but Bond cleverly draws out the inference that she is the sister of the brother who discovers the Borrowers.

This story within a story really elevates the story to a whole new level and hints at the genius of what a great writer Mary Norton was.

I simply cannot urge you enough to listen to Samantha Bond's superlative narration of this stupendous book.

At this price it is really worth a punt.
on 23 August 2017
I like it - in fact as a child I loved it. I bought it to read to my son or for him to read himself but it is terribly old fashioned language and he just couldn't get into it. I feel sad about that but I didn't want to put him off reading so sadly we stopped.
on 29 October 2003
In this sequel to The Borrowers, the Clocks, having lost their home, must now set up a new life in a lost boot. Arrietty finds the outdoors exhilarating, while Homily finds it dangerous and extremely dirty. The Clocks know that there must be other Borrowers somewhere, but where are they, and how will they find them in such a big, wide world?
As with the last book, this one contains a charming story that is well accompanied by illustrations that add a lot to the simple words. These books are considered children's classics, and it's easy to see why. My children loved this book, and yours will, too.
on 22 October 2016
A gift for a child in England,mInhave heard,nut it had great reviews
on 2 June 2017
If you enjoyed the film, this book is lovely and funny.I read it as a child so knew my granddaughters would love It too
on 27 October 2003
Unknown to the humans who seem to rule the Earth, they actually share the world with a race of little people, the Borrowers. Living beneath the floorboards, and anywhere else they can remain unseen, the Borrowers live by "borrowing" what they need from the "human beans." This is the story of one family (Pod, Homily and Arrietty Clock), their life in a spacious home, their borrowing, and their efforts to stay unseen. But Arrietty wants to see what else there is to life, and she is going to see it!
This is such a wonderful book. The story is charming, with the illustrations showing a realistic (if tiny) family. My children loved this story, and even have developed some games based on the story. If you have children, then please consider buying this book for them.
NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE ABRIDGED BOOK READ BY SAMANTHA BOND.

Samantha Bond has dome something I did not think possible - raised this simple story up to fabulous heights making it wonderful for the adult and child alike.
Five stars are simply not enough.

Her narration and vocal skills are simply outstanding and exceptional.
She has the voices of each individual character off pat to a wonderful degree.
each and every character is supremely portray by the talented Ms Bond.

Mary Norton has written some brilliant books and I really would urge you to seek them out but in Bond's hands- or should that be voice the book is simply lifted to a really new high level.

Now to the book.
Many others will concentrate on the story and the characters in the plot.
So I will not go over well trodden ground.

At this price it is really worth a punt.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2017
Having read the book as a child I decided it was about time I re-read it, and it was just as good as I remembered. A great story for children of all ages. I'm sure Borrowers are living in my house!