Customer reviews

1,001
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 June 2017
Bought this to read with my 5 year old. She received the illustrated version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for her birthday and loved it - a lovely way to introduce smaller children to the delights of Roald Dahl. Love George's marvellous medicine - such a horrible grandmother and a delightfully inventive George!!
on 2 January 2011
This is a cracking story, designed to catch any small boy's attention. It is very well done with songs, sound effects and a good cast of character voices.

My 5 year old giggled with delight as the narrator egged George on as he adds more and more wacky things to his grandma's new medicine ("Horseradish?" Excellent! "Curry powder?" Brilliant!). I have now listened to it 3 times and can report that I am quite happy to do so several times more. The same can't be said for other audiobooks we have ...

At an hour long, it probably covers most car journeys you are likely to do. My only warning would be that the Grandma really is quite a scarey character, so might not be suitable for very young children or right before bedtime. She shouts quite a range of nasty things ("You horrible little worm!") and George thinks very nasty things back ("Miserable old cow!"). My 5 year old has yet to shout any of these things himself, but I am sure he will once he knows the story backwards. Still, I supose there are worse things he could be saying!!

Your next step from this would be James and the Giant Peach. The same company of actors does a version, also avaliable on Amazon. It's the same little boy as the lead part. Makes perfect sense to my kids.
on 5 September 2017
I loved this story as a child and have wanted to collect my fave childhood stories on my kindle, when i got an email to say a selection had been reduced i had to buy this story. Even now at nearly 30 i still love the story much more than the film and can happily watch an afternoon slip past while i go back into my imagination and relive the stories.
Perfect for any age to read and fall in love with Roald Dahl and his stories. I can't wait to purchase my other favourites very shortly.
on 13 April 2017
Just a wonderful feel good book.
A wonderful break from all the crime detective stories I have had to go through.
Smiles and giggles and lots of joy.
Put your feet up and enjoy.
on 10 March 2016
This is a classic book and is perfect for boys and girls of all ages. It is a lovely quality and for the money, I will certainly be purchasing more of Roald Dahl books as every child should experience the magic of Dahl's story telling!

Highly Recommend!
on 16 September 2016
This is a great book. My daughter is 4 and can't get enough of it. The new coloured bigger book makes it more fun for the younger children and I'm sure she will love reading this to herself soon.
This is one of the better roald Dahl for younger children.
on 1 March 2015
What is there not to like about this book. Just one of many truly fantastic books written by Roald Dahl.
Every child should have these read to him/her or read them themselves at some point.

We have read a few back to our son and I think I have enjoyed them as much as he has... and I knew what was going to happen.
on 16 September 2016
We have been reading George as part of bedtime routine and can safely say it is a winner. My boys look forward to bedtime and it transports me back to my childhood when I used to read Roald Dahl.
on 20 April 2017
This is a nice A4-ish size book, which i prefer to the smaller size paperbacks. The illustrations are fab as always as is the story, the bigger book just makes it easier for us all to get a good look at the pages at bed-time!
on 23 March 2017
Good read. My daughter LOVED this book. Well written and great story. Highly recommended to KS2, tween age and even the grown ups love it too