Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 January 2005
My son has had all the Hairy Maclary books since he was a baby and continues to adore them now he is a self-professed "big boy" (aged 2 3/4). I bought him the tape version yesterday and he loved it from first hearing - it even took over from the dread Barney CD he normally wants to listen to at night. This is his first experience of audio cassettes and it was a great start.
If you are familiar with the Hairy Maclary series you will not need to be told how wonderful the language, reading rhythms and situations are; if you are not, well give this enchanting tape a try and then go out and purchase the books. They really are worth it.
I can only hope that now the Hairy Maclary books are out, some of the Slinky Malinki series will follow them on to cassette.
If I have one criticism it is the brevity - 10 minutes per side is very short indeed.
on 17 July 2016
There's something very appealing about the idea of David Tennant reading Hairy Maclary and indeed this CD is fantastic. BUT. Though the box claims it's 30 minutes long, the CD states 19 minutes' worth of stories- so it seems an awful lot of money for so little. My biggest disappointment, though, is that Hairy Maclary, Shoo! is not on here. Because now I may never hear David Tennant reading the lines 'Stop this shemozzle, this hullaballoo, scarper, skedaddle, be off with you, SHOO!' My life feels poorer as a result. Sigh.
on 2 February 2015
I wish I could tell you that my children loved this audiobook, but the sad truth is... I don't have children. I bought this for myself, having a penchant bordering on an obsession for anything read by David Tennant. This is a collection of short stories about Hairy Maclary and his friends, and if you're not familiar with Hairy Maclary, the storied are told in rhyme (sort of like Dr. Seuss). I listened to it on the way to work this morning, and found myself bursting out laughing at several parts (notably at David's impression of a distressed cat), and I can't remember ever having such a good laugh stuck in morning traffic before. While I can imagine it might be read a little too fast for some younger children, I enjoyed the stories immensely, and would recommend them to all.
on 1 March 2009
To tell the truth I bought this as I'm collecting audiobooks read by David Tennant - he's just so expressive and I adore his ability to differentiate the voices of the characters. Anyway, this story is also nice and since I teach EFL I am also able to use it at school - the special needs children loved it.
on 6 June 2010
I was extremely happy to see this audio CD since my daughter is a Harry Maclary fan. We have all stories. I was also happy to see that David Tennant was reading the book since he does such an excellent job of audio CDs; however, I was a bit disappointed. My biggest complaint is that the everything is too fast to use with a book. The reading and the time between the stories is very quick. I have problem turning the pages to keep up with the reading pace with my child on my lap and my 3 year old doesn't have chance by herself. The filler music should be longer between the books so you switch books between the tracks. Basically the cadence of the CD is too fast for small child to use with a book.

On another note -- the CD great to just play without using books. The characterization and energy is great and does captivate my daughter. David Tennant is very good at doing audio books. So we use CD in the car or just as background story while we are around the house. For this purpose it is absolutely great.
on 28 August 2012
Claims to be 30 minutes of story telling but is actually just 18 minutes, pretty much blink and you will miss it !
I have many other children's audio cd's and all worth while and many not costing this much money, shame as the books are so good as is the narration.
on 7 February 2013
I was so disappointed with this CD. The story was read way too fast, I could hardly turn the pages in time to keep up. My class asked me to turn it off and read it myself as they just couldn't hear the names of the dogs. They are 4 years old! It was a real let down for children not to be able to hear the wonderful intonation and rhyming in this story. Unfortunately it was a waste of money for me as a teacher I will probably end up throwing it away.
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2010
Although this is a rather short audio book it is thoroughly entertaining. Children will love it. Adults will surely have a laugh. David Tennant's reading is excellent and very clear. He does good 'doggy' voices as well.
Worth buying for the fun of it.
on 16 February 2012
This is a great audiobook, particularly if you are already familiar with the Hairy Maclary books. It is read by David Tennant and his scottish lilt lends itself to the rythm and rhyme that is so important to the flow of these stories.
on 14 February 2014
A single CD, nothing extra in the case i.e. art work etc.
Good stories for young children.
The stories do rattle along a fair pace, you would struggle to follow with a book.
The stories change with a chime, a heart beat later the next story starts.
This story CD is more for listening to in the car or at bedtime.
Some say David Tennant is unaudible, yes he does sound "extra" Scottish but is very clear & almost soothing...
My little man loves laying in bed with this playing him to sleep, after reading a bedtime book together this is like a bonus for him.
A pretty decent CD story set, we like it but it'll never replace the Gruffalo!