on 3 November 2016
This book more than lives up to its title. I first bought it 1981 as a teenager during the first wave of cube mania. Purchased again for nostalgia. The author was a 13 year old schoolboy at the time, who distributed his ideas amongst schoolmates. These were later picked up by Penguin books and this book was the result. The solution is presented in a simple step-by-step format which covers all situations and uses easy diagrams so the reader need not be worried about complex notation and formulas. The only disclaimer I can give is that this is very much a "beginner" solution. The reader interested in world class solution times and methods would be advised to look elsewhere. That said, the average reader using this solution could easily achieve an average solve time of about 2 minutes. It should also be noted that when this book was first published such things as the internet were still the stuff of science fiction and most people were desperate to find ANY way of solving this new-fangled infernal puzzle!
on 21 March 2013
this book is a good guide, but i found it a bit confusing, in some parts, but however i think it is good value for money and i would reckomend it
on 21 July 2008
I remember buying this book in 1981 and found the simple step by step pages helped me to easily solve the cube in no time at all.
I had lost the book and gave up doing the cube many years ago.
My daughter bought me a cube just recently and how pleased I was to receive 'You can do the cube' book.
After a few practices following the simple steps in this brilliant book I am able to solve the cube without further help.
on 12 January 2010
I brought this book because I purchased a Rubik's Cube as a Christmas present for my 10 Year old Son and foresaw that 'we' may need some help! This book splits down into easily achievable stages the order you should / need to follow to complete the cube. For each stage, there are a series of pictogram style diagrams detailing progressions that, if followed, enable you to achieve that particular stage. These diagrams of the moves you need to make are explained in a detailed 'key' and after you have attempted using them a while, they do become very easy to follow (bearing in mind directions are for a 3D object) and do help you to complete that stage.

All in all, an excellent book that does 'show' you how to complete the cube. My son has managed to complete this puzzle on his own and has started to memorise some of the progressions and refers to the book less and less each week. I though still cannot do without this valuable guide!

You Can Do the Cube
on 7 November 2012
I had this book originally back in the early 80's and used it at the time to learn how to do the cube in under 1 minute!!!!! With the passing of time however, the memory banks have faded and I had forgotten how to do some of the longer moves! I now have kids of my own who are of the age where they also want to learn how to do the cube. I searched the Net looking for a copy of my original solutions book and hey presto! The 'You can do the cube' is the same book but a revised and updated version! The moves are the same and just as I remembered them! Easy to follow moves with plenty of diagrams to help understand the objectives!!! I am not quite up to my earlier speeds of completing the cube yet but I am getting there! The kids love it and can do plenty of the easier combinations? Highly recommended and well worth the money!
on 24 April 2010
VERY GOOD SOLUTION,WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE THE CUBE WITHOUT IT, AND A VERY QUICK DISPATCH,THANK YOU.
on 8 June 2011
After years of trying to solve the cube, you know what its like, you pick it up now and again and complete one colour but can't get any further. Not anymore, i bought the book, read it and skipped straight to 2nd section, within an hour i have solved the cube. The instructions are simple, straight forward and so easy to follow. I am now memorising each sequence until i can complete it without using the book. It will take practice and possible hours of practice, but this book makes it so easy to memorise the moves. I'm at that smug stage now, watching people struggle to complete just one side, enjoy and practice..
on 27 October 2013
I believe this guide to solving the Rubik Cube was written in the early 1980s by a 13-year-old boy who wrote a guide on solving the cube which he used to give to his friends. Apparently, a book company saw it and were so impressed that they contacted him and asked him to write the guide as a book. This is the finished product.

It is quite easy to understand and has a pictorial guide on how to solve the cube from start to finish. The only thing that lets it down is the fact that the guide is black and white which can be a bit confusing. I would have thought that the publisher would have released a colour update by now. Unfortunatley I just couldn't get on with this book due to its lack of colour and looked elsewhere. You can get a free pdf download from the website of the original Rubik Cube which contains a step-by-step full colour guide which is easy to follow.

I did intend to give this guide three stars but considering it was originally wirtten by a 13-year-old boy for his friends which a publishing company saw and asked him to write this book, I will give it a 4th star.
on 20 May 2011
This book takes me back, but it is really the one and only easy way to do the cube, without all the technical jargon
on 15 October 2014
A bit of history, but there are much better solutions to the 3x3x3 cubs available free online, not least at the official Rubiks site.