Customer reviews

on 28 March 2001
When 14 year-old Peter Brownrigg throws a stone at his Cumberland community's enemy, Sir Philip Morton, it sets him on an adventure of treason and a plot to kill Queen Elizabeth. In his bid to escape the enraged Sir Philip, Peter joins a touring group of actors and meets the mysterious Kit, an impressive young actor, with a strange secret. Peter soon finds himself working in London, with none other than William Shakespeare himself. When Peter accidently lends his script of Shakespeare's new play to a stranger, he discovers a plot to kill the Queen. With the help of Kit, Peter must return to Cumberland to discover the circumstances and nature of the assasination attempt. In the ensuing adventure, Peter discovers his true limits, both physically and mentally, as he battles to save the Queen in time. A story of intrigue, mystery and bravery that kept me, as a child, gripped in the story and touched my imagination for years. As my teacher never finished reading this story in class when I was 9, I've always wondered what happened to Kit and Peter, and it was only recently that the ending was revealed to me. Children will love this book of Kit and Peter becoming agents for the Queen's secret service, and the historical setting complements any education they may be having about the Tudors or Elizabethan era.
on 18 March 2014
As a child I always searched for Rosemary Sutcliff, Geoffrey Trease and Henry Treece in the public library. This was one of my favourites, and I was so pleased to find it again and re-read it happily. What I loved about it was the insight into the lives of actors and acting, and boys playing girls in Shakespeare's day. I don't know how a modern child would respond to it - it is a fairly gentle story, but carried me along with it, and obviously made a big impact on me all those years ago.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 May 2013
Geoffrey Trease was a prolific writer and he wrote at least one hundred books in his life time. His children's books I am sure given many readers an interest in history, which was originally fired by reading Trease - books such as White Nights of St Petersburg (1967), Edward I's England and his other Roman based novels. My introduction to his work was Ward to Caesar and Cue for Treason as a child. Geoffrey Trease was last of certain generation authors of children's books when he passed away in 1998. Cue for Treason was first published in 1940 is a children's historical novel and is considered Geoffrey Trease's best-known work.

Very short plot overview:

The historical narrative is set in Elizabethan England at the end of the 16th century. Two young runaways become boy actors; they both have their own individual back story that led to their actions to run away. While travelling first on the road and later in London, where they are assisted by one William Shakespeare, they are made aware of a plot against Queen Elizabeth's life and through many adventures attempt to prevent the plot to assassinate the Queen.

My thoughts:

I found that there is a wealth of information about this book and the writer on the internet and it is really worth looking at if you interested. As a child I loved the adventure, suspense that the author's work generated, his work was always a real page turner for me. I have subsequently found out that this book is considered a template that he used for many future novels he wrote. Apart from the attention to detail which makes you feel you are Elizabethan England, the novel deals with: social issues of the time such as enclosures and unemployment, and the fears of internal rebellion and external threats such as invasion. Forced marriage, an issue that concerns us even today in the 21st century and the prohibiting of women from the drama are touched upon. There is an exploration of values of patriotism, loyalty and common good. As a child some these themes were perhaps beyond my grasp, for me this book transcends gender and age and is worth a very good five star rating, a highly recommended read.
on 4 March 2014
Geoffrey Trease was a marvellous writer who made many distant periods come alive for children and gave as much importance to girls as to boys. This was very unusual! 'Cue for Treason' inspired me to read more of his work, and you can buy some of his novels from Amazon or get them from the stacks in your local library. I particularly recommend 'Silver Guard', a Civil War story in which Peter and Kit reappear - grandparents now!
on 19 August 2013
My ten year old grand-daughter praised this book- and lent it to me- a first!
She was right, it is very entertaining.

At first glance, it appears to be a rip-roaring historical adventure story set in the reign of Queen Bess. But there is more to it- it not only introduces young readers to history, but puts the history into its correct context- a great way to get the young interested.

A good read for all ages.
on 28 April 2009
Geoffrey Treace is one of the best historical writers for primary-age children, and alongside A Crown of Violets (Ancient Greece), this is as good as it gets. Our hero is on the run from his family's evil landlord. He meets up with a band of travelling players on their way to London, as does an odd thin boy his own age. Of course, the actors are what will become Shakespeare's own Players, and the boy is not what he appears...there's treason afoot, and a frantic chase across northern England. If your child like this, I also recommend Josh Lacey's BEARKEEPER and Susan Cooper's KING OF SHADOWS.
on 4 March 2003
I am 13 and we have just read this book in class. It is set in Elizabethan times and is exciting from the beginning. When Peter Brownrigg throws a stone at horrible Sir Philip Morton who is trying to take over their land he gets into big trouble. So Sir Philip sends out soldiers to search for him and he has to run away. From then on he has many adventures such as joining an acting group and meeting Kit who has a mysterious secret which nobody can know, meeting William Shakespere(!), coming close to death several times and discovering a plot to kill Queen Elizabeth! It will keep you reading until the last page and there are unexpected twists in every chapter! I would recommend it to anybody over 10 or so because although it is mainly easy to understand sometimes the language is a bit hard or there are odd words which need explaining! Although some books you read in lessons are boring this one isn't!
on 11 December 2011
This wonderful, short book is really worth reading. It does not matter what your age is; it is suitable for anyone over the age of about 5. i am 61 and I enjoyed after being recommended to read it by someone of the same age. I have passed it to my wife, who will also enjoy it. It has much in the way of historical interest, and accurately reflects the hard life which everyday mortals lived in the time of W Shakespeare Esq., sometime playwright and bit part actor. Recommended to anyone who is bothered to read my jottings!
on 12 June 2009
I read this book when I was at school in the 80's and it has taken me a while to track it down as I could not remember the title or author! The book has got a great pace, really makes you picture the Lake District and Elizabethan London in your mind. The characters are engaging and the storyline is lovely. This is an excellent book!
on 12 January 2010
I bought this for my son for Christmas. He tells me it was an exciting read and would highly recommend it.