Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

A Child's Garden of Verses
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2017
I have a 1955 reprint of this lovely wee book. I had hoped that the new 60th anniversary edition would be nice to have, so I treated myself... I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the illustrations! In the first couple of pages the illustrations are exactly like the older version, however, from then on, they are too deeply "inked", for want of a better word?! The original illustrations being more like pencil sketches! The book itself, is larger... It's older version being nicer to handle, in my opinion. For a "Puffin" book, I am not impressed by the way this lovely wee book has been reprinted. On a lighter note... All the delightful "garden of verses", poems are as good as ever, and never fail to bring me joy, and happy memories of times as a very young, innocent child.
review imagereview image
on 19 December 2012
This was such a constant companion in my childhood and having loved these poems by RLS I moved on to his prose works and I have to say they are now very much old friends revisited regularly. Thank goodness that Stevenson is now regathering recognition in his native City to the extent that there is an "RLS Day". The Child's Garden has a deceptively simple quality - innocence, certainly, but underlying those real virtues lies the nascent mind of a great writer and observer of life, someone who has first hand experience of sustained illness (for example) but retains wonderful optimism:
Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!
on 14 October 2017
Wonderful. Just as I remembered it as a child in the late fifties. I loved the Lamplighter and the poem about having to go to bed when it was still light, how I identified with that. I was brought up by a Victorian, my Grandmother, who was born in 1885 and I had to be in bed by seven! Beautiful book, brought back memories of sitting round the fire, toasting bread and dripping for tea. My grandmother telling me stories of when she was young, like almost being run over by a hansom cab. Reading these poems out loud to me before I went to bed. A lost world.
on 4 October 2017
This is a lovely book. Wonderful poetry by Stevenson, and wonderful illustrations by Wildsmith.
What I find criminal - and absolutely spoil the book for me - is the occasional lapse into American spelling.
Steven didn't write in American - surely a poet chooses his or her language very carefully, and these words should be kept.
The publisher keeps words like 'o'er', presumably because they couldn't find an American alternative.
I was going to share this book with grandchildren, but sadly that is no longer the case.
HUGE disappointment.
on 5 December 2010
I was given this book as a child and now that I am a grandparent have bought it so that we can read it to our grandchildren. It deals with what are timeless elements in early childhood which would otherwise never be mentioned or ignored in the rush to the electronic distractions that have taken over 'modern' life.
This particular edition is beautifully produced and illustrated
David Allan
on 30 October 2017
I bought this as a birthday present for my eight year old grandaughter - the age when I had my first copy of this wonderful introduction to poetry.
It's a brilliant book for all ages, but children love it also.
on 21 October 2013
I loved this book as it took me back to the poems that I had read as a child and had completely forgotten.
I find this is the joy of having a kindle, you find books that you would not or could not, normally find or choose to read.
This book contains simple poetry that is probably in the back of everyone's mind - it certainly was in mine and I never Knew. I would highly recommend everyone take a look in this book no matter what age.
on 2 August 2017
Bit old school. My daughter is 7 an was confused by the language. Should have done more research before buying the book.
on 30 October 2017
The poems were very dated. It was hard to get through even one.
on 3 April 2017
Been lookinh for this for ages