Customer reviews

Michael Rosen's A-Z: The best children's poetry from Agard to Zephaniah
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2018
This is a great poetry book that we read every night before bed. It has a selection of funny poems by different poets. There's some real classics in here. Very good for a quick laugh before bedtime.
on 17 March 2018
Arrived in Time.
On Time.
Exactly as Described .
on 15 April 2017
An excellent tool used within the classroom. The children love choosing a poem for me to read!
on 5 April 2017
A tremendous collection of fabulous poems
on 25 March 2018
Lovely book
on 13 April 2018
Good condition thanks
VINE VOICEon 24 December 2009
I saw this book a few days ago and picked up a copy for my young grand-daughter who seems to just love the sound and rhythm of words that are put in the right order.

For his latest anthology Michael Rosen, our Children's Laureate from 2007-2009, has collected 127 poems for children from 61 poets that are 'rich with the many cultures, voices and sounds of the most exciting performance poets in Britain today.' In his short introduction, Michael encourages his readers to take a poem and 'see what it sounds like when you say it', or to ask someone else to say it, or to have a go at saying it together with others, or swaying to and fro to the rhythm of it - because poems don't just live in our brains, they live in our bodies.

Presented alphabetically, all except two poets contribute two poems each. There's just one from Allan Ahlberg - though it's 7 pages long!- and there are two from Michael, with a further six he's come up with for the letters of the alphabet for which he couldn't find a poet! One of them is for the reader to complete.

Several of these poets are new to me, though there are some well-known names too: Jenny Joseph, Roger McGough, Carol Ann Duffy, and Adrian Mitchell, who sadly died as the book was being collated, to name but a few.

Most of the poems are from the Noughties (sounds about right for some children, I know), with many of them being very new. On the other hand, some are over 20 years old, but there aren't any of those really familiar children's poems normally found in popular anthologies. The collection is diverse to say the least: funny, haunting, sad, serious and silly, and many other descriptions you might think of.

Here are just two examples. From Brian Moses's poem Spider-swallowing we learn that 'everyone swallows at least eight spiders in one lifetime!'. Well, there you go. Furthermore, Michael Rosen himself, in The Difference, reveals to the uninitiated amongst us that what a hotel in Glasgow knows as 'soap' is in fact known as a 'skincare bar' in Edinburgh. I'm not sure whether the respective tariffs reflect this mattter.

Go on, take a risk. Children will find it's a good read, and may say so, out loud.
11 Comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2011
My children love this book. They didn't look at much poetry so I thought I'd try them with it and they actually fight to read it out!
on 4 January 2013
I bought this as a birthday present for my 9-year-old granddaughter's school friend. Everyone loves Rosen's poetry and his choice in this book of other poets' work for children is excellent.
on 27 November 2012
My children throughly enjoyed reading all the poems in the book! They could not put the book down and were laughing and smiling the entire time.