Customer reviews

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl Graphic Novels)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2010
First off let me say I am no graphic officinado, but for me personally & my three boys, we loved it, it's detailed expressive both in drawing style & colour usage, I mean the colours dictate the mood & action that is happening at the time. I would of like to see the text a little larger that is my only gripe in the explaination boxes, but in the verbal speech balloons the font size is just right.
This version is the imported American edition, the only difference is the front cover, from the Uk version published by Puffin (Penguin books).

This graphic novel tells the tale from the novel in pictorial form that was published in 2001. Artemis Fowl is a 12 year old genius, a mastermind, inventing some of the most devious & advanced technology known to man. Behind some of the most puzzling advanced crimes of the century.
Artemis is after gold, not just any gold, but fairy gold, he is in for a surprise though, these are not just any old fairies.

Artemis plans to hold a fairy to ransom, he wants to restore his family fortune. He gets more than he bargained for, faireis are armed & dangerous, their technology makes his look like simple building blocks. There's a paranoid centaur, trolls, one very kickass Holly with attitude, Artemis has his work cut out for him, if he's going to end up on top.
One person found this helpful
on 12 November 2007
Having borrowed the first Artemis Fowl novel (from a friend who implored me to read it), I'd never actually owned a copy. It didn't seem right to adore a book so much and not actually own one, so I faithfully visited Amazon.co.uk to set this to rights. When I saw that a graphic novel had been just been released for AF1 there really was no decision to make; it was as good as mine.

And what a terrific job Colfer and Co have made of this electrifying story by putting it into a comic strip format. The original novel was extremely fast paced and had an action film feel to it, yet the graphic novel has taken this premise and run with, very quickly!

The visuals suit the story perfectly; sharp, modern, funky and perceptive. The varying size and the scope of these images really help to capture the drama of the narrative. Especially impressive is the use of light and dark and the way these two polar opposites are paralleled (good vs. evil / surface vs. subterranean).

On the negative side, the story does lose some of its depth (unfortunately, this is to be expected). The characters are not so vivid and realised in picturesque format and if I were reading this as a first time Fowl voyeur, I would not have such an appreciation for the amazing inventions of Colfer. Nor would I be as desperate to pursue a sequel.

Yet the differences between the written story and the comic ironically are the reasons why this HAS to be purchased by Fowl fanatics, or simply by anyone who enjoys terrific fast-paced fiction. Seeing Haven City and Holly Short for the first time was first class, and my first look at the Neutrino 2000.... well, it was riddled with jealously - why can't I have one?

Highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2017
Love the Artemis Fowl books and this graphic novel does a good job of bringing the characters to life. Efficient delivery from seller, many thanks!
on 12 April 2012
Just finished this and had to write how much I enjoyed it. I read the original book maybe 15 years ago, and to be honest I remember thinking it was good, but not great. So my expectations weren't high when I picked this up on a whim. How wrong I was. It works PERFECTLY as a graphic novel, or rather, the adaptation and the artwork are so good that they make it work perfectly as a graphic novel. The story zips along and the artwork is amazing, but the characters are also really well developed and make you want to learn more about them (which is why I'm about to buy the second adaptation).

Now I am off to add this GN to the 'pile of things that I will one day blow my kids mind with'...
One person found this helpful
on 5 June 2014
Excellent products. Glad it is avialable to buy.
I love the instancy of delivery too.
Made a lot of difference to the little children at the home.

I am happy to buy other products with something similar.

Really good.
on 5 December 2015
Bought as a present for my son. Looks good!
on 12 June 2018
Expensive but worth it for my reluctant reader who went on to read the actual book!
on 9 January 2016
lets get him reading
on 22 March 2018
My 10 year old, who is a reluctant reader loves this book
on 6 January 2013
Bought this book as a Christmas gift for my son in law,he seemed really pleased with it but as I have not read it I cant comment on it further.