on 16 September 2017
Excellent
on 22 January 2017
I didn't particularly 'get' Roald Dahl stories when I was younger (I was more of a Blyton girl) so I didn't look these out to read to my boys until the BFG was on at the cinema. I'm a strong believer that you should read the book before you see the film, so we read the BFG before we went and we were hooked from that point. This week we read Fantastic Mr Fox and the boys (6 and 9) loved it. I'll definitely be buying more Roald Dahl books :-)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 March 2016
I read this at around 8 or 9, I would guess. My son is working his way with me through our Dahl audio collection and since finishing this, keeps mentioning how clever Mr Fox is, and how horrible the farmers are. It has definitely hit a nerve with him, and he is just 5.

Chris O'Dowd narrates, and gives his Irish accent in variations to each of the animals, doing a rather suave Mr Fox and some loathsome farmers.

I was fairly shocked at the outright moral failings of Mr Fox, listening as an adult though - he DOES steal food and he IS in the wrong really. But of course, my son sees Mr Fox as a hero, as the other animals do.

We have three revolting farmers who live off of their own produce, and a family of foxes who take what they need to survive (despite living in a wood!), on whom the farmers voe vengeance - via shovels, diggers and guns... Can Mr Fox prevent his family from starving?

It's one of the shortest of Dahl's books, and does, when you're an adult, feel quite brief, though the plot is thorough and complete. I would have liked more to happen, more excitement and tense scenes between farmer and fox, but for a young child, it's a great little story of hero and villain.

You feel for the foxes, starving for days and then surrounded by plump chickens. And you also do loathe the repellent farmers.

We managed to listen to this in just a few sessions in the car, it was only 1 disc long and very nicely narrated. A great early Dahl to encourage children to try his longer books (we are now on The Witches!) and for those capable, to maybe try reading it for themselves with its 17 short chapters.
on 25 July 2017
Unforgettable.Read so many times since childhood.Got and read books in its various formats to children,niece/nephew alike and finally saw the play with son on the date of his tenth birthday at the Lyric theatre last year.So many unforgettable characters,so many wonderful subplots--the philosophy of cycle of life with its many chains and interdependencies--animals,nature,humans,food,birth,marriage,death,survival etc all encapsulated here by master storyteller RD.The show brought it to life and this cd serves to remind us that the world was made for all living things and the fox cannot be denied.
This tale and so many others from this gifted author were such favourites of mines as a child, these books have not lost their charm and still appeal to children even today.
Fantastic mister Fox tells of one fantastically clever Fox and three meaner than can be nasty Farmers, who have the sole ambition of capturing Mr Fox no matter the cost.
As always the author creates a world that is truly believable and a story that captures the imagination of readers of any age. A 5 Star must have read and highly recommended.
on 1 March 2015
An excellent book. I don't think I will ever forget the three mean farmers - Boggis, Bunce and Bean. Roald Dahl's most negative characters always appear to be the most memorable. The story shows the true spirit of family and holding it together during the most trying circumstances and facing adversity together. The ending itself was very unexpected too as I was expecting the three farmers to come to some untimely end and not what I expected at all. I couldn't help thinking that at some point the Fox, his family and his underground friends will be caught out again in the future but the story leaves that to our imagination.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2008
A terrific tale of three mean and nasty farmers who decide to catch Mr Fox whatever it takes. The three vile villains are nasty but foolish, a combination that keeps them on the right side of scary for a more sensitive child.
And so they dig down and down, first with spades and then with mechanical diggers. The race is on.
And then, how on earth can the daring and resourceful Mr Fox sit out a siege and keep his family safe from starvation?
The clever and daring Mr Fox fights for survival with bravery and daring through secret passages and an underground world.
There's a magnificent finale, a great banquet, and my older children (5&7) love Mr Fox's inspired vision of a triumphant new way life for all the underground animals, while leaving the three mean farmers still waiting out in the rain.
With Quentin Blake's funny black and white illustrations on every page and many short chapters, the text is amusing and imaginatively descriptive as you'd expect from Mr Dahl. It also includes those little disgusting touches that children love such as "Bean's earholes were clogged with all kinds of muck and wax and bits of chewing-gum and dead flies and stuff like that."

This is one of my favourite Dahl stories: a short and snappy chapter book that can be read aloud in less than an hour and is guaranteed to hold the attention of a young listener from about age 5. It's fast paced, with enough excitement, danger and momentum to appeal from Key Stage 1 though children (and adults) who are considerably older will enjoy reading it to themselves. And with gun-toting farmers on the prowl and terrible tractors wrecking havoc on the hill, it's a particularly good story with which to entice reluctant boys.

If you are looking for more of Roald Dahl's magic for the younger age-group The Magic Finger, Esio Trot and The Twits next.

If you like the Robin Hood redistribution from rich and nasty farmers to the poor and worthy then you might also try the longer but every-bit-as-magnificent Danny Champion of the world.
on 8 May 2017
It is an amazing magnificent story by Roald Dahl and it is called Fantastic Mr. Fox. It is very funny and entertaining.The characters are: Mr. Fox, Mrs Fox, baby fox, Boggis, Bunce and Bean. I think the book is appropriate for six and over because the little ones will get bored but the older ones wont get bored.It is about a fox who lived in hole in the countryside with his family he lives next angry farmers called Boggis, Bunce and Bean.I think children should start reading this amazing book because it is attractive and funny also they should read with an adult because there are lots of very hard work.
on 9 March 2017
enchanting story about a fantastic fox trying to outwit 3 very nasty farmers. Clever use of language and short punchy chapters keep young readers hooked. It is a bit of a step up difficulty wise from the twits for example but the great story makes it worthwhile.
on 1 April 2017
This colour edition is amazing for my 5 year old as it is a step between picture books and more traditional story books. I've since brought these as presents for others. Would highly recommend.