Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2007
What a surprise, this book is lovely. Real nostalagia. Personally i can't stand football, but this book is actually about the events, people and freindships the football is pretty secondary. The story is written from the childs perspective and then reflects from the writer as an adult point of view. It reminds you of all those wonderfully silly things you said as a child like "lets call ourselves cemetry rovers, that'll SCARE the opposition". and the naughty things you did like steel as somebodys fence to make a bonfire, and the guilt of your mum sticking up for you.

It is a real pleasure when you can see where some of the larger than life characters come from in his childrens books.

Buy this book and you will get a smile on your face.
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2010
My first book by Allan Alhberg and didnt really know what to expect from this childrens author. Previous books include Burgular Bill as a charactor and I wasnt sure if I was reading from the authors imagination or an autobiographical piece. Times online reviews this book as the 2nd installment of Allans autobiography for readers age 9+.

From the Midlands myself I enjoyed the local descriptions of places I know but as the mother of a 9 year old girl I think she would find the football story boring and the reminiscing of olden days dull. For me I found a lot that made me smile and anyone growing up in the 1950's would enjoy this trip down memory lane. The coronation cup gives a bunch of under 12's who didnt make the school team an opportunity to form The Malt Shovel Rovers, what a great name, and complete against all the odds. Would love to know if this really happened. Told from the childs point of view didnt really get gritty enough for me, just wetted my appetite.