Format: Paperback|Change

Half Moon Investigations is a surprisingly (and refreshingly) NON fantasy novel from Eion Colfer. I love the Artemis Fowl books and found The Supernaturalist to be interesting (if not great) so it's obvious I would pick this book up right away. I'd never heard of it until I saw it in the shop and the cool cover and Eion Colfer's name in big letters was the selling point for me, regardless of whether or not the actual blurb made the book look any good.

Fletcher Moon is twelve and a fully licensed private detective. He takes his job very seriously even though the adults regard it as a game. But it ain't no game, not at all. There is a murky plot brewing in Fletcher's high school and he's been hired to get to the bottom of it. But he can't trust anyone and he uncovers more lies than truths. In this respect the book is kinda similar to the movie Brick by Rian Johnson.

I like the approach Colfer uses. He doesn't want to be too childish and insult his target audience but he can't take the story out of the young adult section. It's a fine line to walk and he makes it all the way.

The first-person narrative is punchy and to-the-point. No time is wasted padding and the story breezes along, going from twist to twist. It's the kind of book that you read all at once because there's no part that seems like a safe place to leave it at.

Like Artemis Fowl books, it seems that Colfer is planning on a new franchise with Half Moon Investigations. If so, I eagerly await the next.
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2006
If you pick up Half Moon Investigations with a completely open mind, then I'm sure that you will probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. However, if you are reading this book in the hopes that it is going to be another Eoin Colfer page turner, then I am afraid that you are probably going to be disappointed. I feel that this book is similar to Colfers book, 'The Wish List', in that although the book is entertaining, it simply does not match up to the high standards set by both Artemis Fowl, and the Supernaturalists.

After reading this book, I did feel a slight sense of disappointment that this book did not match up to Colfers others. Nevertheless, I did finish the book, and Colfers other books aside, I did find it to be a reasonably enjoyable novel with some interesting plot ideas, as well as some simply outrageous goings on amongst the young characters that will leave you ever so slightly amazed. Wrap that all up and throw in a plot twist that I didn't see coming, and you have a good book. Not a great book, but a good one, and certainly worth spending the money on if you have it spare.
on 22 June 2006
'Half Moon Investigations' is an enjoyable read, but it certainly isn't on the same scale as Artemis Fowl.

Colfer takes us on a convincing jaunt through the dangers and intrigues of school politics and mystery, making the small things in life seem terribly important until you sit back and think about it. The characters are likeable and convincing, though about halfway through you'll find yourself grinding your teeth at the obviousness of the connections. However, Colfer still does give some nice and interesting surprises, and the book is certainly an enjoyable way to pass an afternoon.

For hardcore Artemis fans expecting the whirlwind journeys we know and love, and espionage on a worldwide scale, just be forewarned that it's not as epic as his other books. But for everyone else, go on, have a read.
on 30 July 2007
I'd loved everything I'd read by Eoin Colfer so I was intrigued to find what I hope is the start of a new series. It lived up to expectations and I raced through it, loving every minute. Eoin Colfer's style of writing just keeps me gripped and Half Moon Investigations was no dissapointment. I really hope it is the start of a series cause I can't wait to get stuck into the next case!
on 11 September 2006
I really enjoyed "Half Moon Investigations." All the Colfer hallmarks are there: a fast pace, humour, and imagination. It just seems very ordinary compared to the Artemis Fowl series! But that's a compliment to Colfer. I'm sure the Half Moon series will appeal to those who aren't so keen on magic, heavily armed fairies and criminal masterminds.
on 14 February 2016
After reading Artemis Fowl, I found Colfer's humour right up my street. So it's no surprise that I picked up this book over a decade ago. This book is amongst a few that I will read alongside another because it's light-hearted and gives me enough motivation to finish the other book. This book on its own is full of typical Colfer humour (there were definitely times I burst out laughing without intending to!) because it's so tongue-in-cheek! I love it! It's a shame his work doesn't seem to get as much recognition as either Rowling or Wilson. Anyway, I heartily recommend this to all youngsters, boys and girls alike!
on 27 November 2012
This was a great novel, not quite worthy of 5 stars, but still a 4 maybe 4.5 star. Half Moon is a good character, the story is very believable and takes you back to school days. The crimes is good, the bad guy (Or girl in this case) is believable, I could even see this being made into one of those Disney movies they put on the Disney channel or a small series.
I would like to read more in the series, Author Colfer set it u well with the good charters, maybe we will see more of Half Moon?
on 13 June 2006
I've read all of Eoin Colfers books and there all excelent. I love them and this ones no exception.
I think the Sharkey's are really funny! And April's barking mad.
All Colfers books are totally different and this one is writen just like those grim New York seedy crime stories but set in an Irish town. It's only just out and i'm already waiting for the next one! Please let there be a next one!
on 13 October 2015
Love it. It is a real page turner full of mystery especially when fletcher has been set up he and his unlikely have to work together.
on 27 August 2013
This book really jumps out at you and lives up to the standard set by the Artemis Fowl series and Eoin Colfer's other books.