Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2005
driftwood is fantastic - a book you can race through but with characters which stay with you for ages afterwards. I was really rooting for paul, wanting his life to turn around - and didn't guess the ending at all. It's great to read a book that takes a sensitive look at bullying, and not fitting in, and shows that the 'baddies' aren't always who you'd expect them to be. I loved this, and can't wait for Cathy's next book!
on 1 September 2005
This is a lovely, touching book about love, friendship, and being different and not fitting in. The characters are so real, and you really find yourself rooting for Paul - wanting his life to turn around. It's great to read a book where the 'baddies' aren't at all obvious or who you'd expect them to be.
Driftwood is a fantastic heartwarming read from a brilliant author whose books are original and beautifully written. You can race through it, but it's thought provoking and the characters stay in your mind for ages afterwards. And I didn't guess the ending, either!
Can't wait for the next Cathy Cassidy book!
on 31 August 2007
This book was one of the best books i've ever read!
You can relate to what the charecters are going through and i felt so sorry for Paul.
You should definitely get this book - i would reccomend to ages 10-14
on 11 July 2014
My daughters review:
Driftwood was a beautiful book full of drama, harsh reality and truth and I utterly adored every minute.

Driftwood is about a girl named Hannah (which was a bonus because thats my name) who goes to school with her best friend Joey. Hannah's brother, Kit, is head over heels for Joey and Joey is on a war with uniform and school rules. She's quirky and enjoys individuality. Although Joey enjoys demanding her head teacher around and being different, Joey is actually far different then just her looks. She was fostered by a beautiful couple called Jed and Eva who are creative and enjoy watching Joey float with her own individuality. So, when they announce their adopting a new child, Paul, Joey is obsessed with the idea. But all goes wrong when Joey and Kit end up together and Hannah is left seeing what her brother and his loser friends are doing to the new kid, Paul. They're bullying him. Hannah faces the reality of loving someone who may not love her back, watching her best friend fall in love with her bullying brother whilst watching her brother bully her own love for being different. Yet, when Hannah realises a big secret and the truth behind Paul, she falls even more so in love.

Cathy Cassidy has touched the truth on fostering so beautifully. She's able to portray how it can effect someone without writing it from the foster child's perspective. Cathy has also ensured that Hannah is not the main character here, and just uses her simply as a narrator which allows you to understand some feelings but having to create your own opinions and feelings too. She has also touched on mental health, self harm and depression as well as suicide in this book, but without making it harsh or bombarding you with too much information. It's subtle but it's real. And because it's not the main character who is suffering, you are more attached to the boy-next-door type, Paul, as you're not forced to feel his feelings, you can develop your own.

Although I love this book, there were a few points where I had found myself reading it over to make sure I read things properly. There are a lot of references to beach magic and fantasy, which isn't my cup of tea, so I often found myself just reading more into the metaphors in between. I think Cathy Cassidy has done an amazing job with her work here, and this book is a favourite! However - I would not recommend it to younger readers as the reference to self harm is quite clear and obviously can be worrying to them.
on 6 November 2011
WOW! This was the first of cathy casssidy's books I read and I loved it soo much I bought all her books after! If you've been bullied or you are being bullied this can help! A book about friendship! Paul sounds like a great person and cute too this teaches you to speak out!
Hannah and Joey are best mates but Joey fallls for Hannahs bro kit who Hannah thinks is a pain in the bum! Hannah is losing her best mate for planet slush.
Then Paul starts getting bullied hannah wants to telll a teacher but Paul tells her to leave it even though he's unhappy.
Then he goes missing and everything goes pear shaped thanks to the bullies.
I'd recommend it to anyone 10 or over even though I read it when I was 9 and i didn't quite understand it as I do now! A great read!

XxLaurenxX
on 30 January 2014
OK, so I'm WAY older than the intended audience, but as I'm something of a "Crazy Cat Lady", I spotted in the blurb that the characters find some abandoned kittens (I work in a library).

I read this book straight through this morning- I couldn't put it down, I just HAD to find out what was going to happen! The characters were relateable and it brought back strong memories of my own childhood, as lots of issues I faced growing up were addressed in the plot.

The story was well constructed, to lead you to think one thing before a twist reveals something different. I really wanted Paul to speak up about what was happening to him, he was at times frustratingly stubborn but ultimately you understood his point of view. Hannah had a difficult choice- it troubled me that she kept quiet about the bullying (as Paul requested), rather than speaking up.

I would highly recommend this book to kids and teenagers- probably would appeal more to girls, though there's no reason why boys shouldn't read it too!
on 19 August 2015

on 22 May 2016
This is one of the best books I have ever read! It's a little romantic at the end, but not too much, there's adventure in it, and lots out of other really fun stuff I'm not gonna mention otherwise til spoil it. I'd seriously recommend it to ages from 7 - 13! Though that's my opinion, it kinda depends on the person younger, or older! To sum it all up, I'd say I LOVE this book, and it's really awesome!
on 4 January 2014
This is a good book about a girl called Hannah and a girl called Joey and Joey has a foster brother called Paul and he gets bullied too afraid to tell his foster parents and the social
services.But then as Hannah is getting less worried about Paul something disastrous happens which involves Paul going away

If you or anybody else you know are being bullied please type this In the internet search page

Tuberculosis
on 24 January 2013
This book is a delightful story an it gives advice about bullying as well and it shows that it's always important to tell someone. It is a heart gripping story about love, friendship and hate. My favourite character is Hannah because she never turns her back on anyone and is always there for Paul who has a rough time with the other boys because he is different. My least favourite character is Hannah's older brother kit because he bullys Paul who is Hannah's best friend Joey's foster brother and Joey is his girlfriend. Not for long. I think my favourite part is when Paul goes away to the island and doesn't tell anyone. My least favourite part is when Joey and kit goes to town ad stays there for hours and everyone is really worried. I recommend this book for people who like a trouble book.