Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2009
Jeremiah in the Dark Woods is a minor childrens' classic written and illustrated by prolific husband and wife team Janet and Allan Ahlberg. This was part of my school's 'reading corner' in the late 70s/early 80s and I always remember the gorillas in suits for some reason! Jeremiah Obadiah goes in search of his Grandmother's tarts that have been stolen; he meets the aforementioned gorillas, the Three Bears, a motorbike riding wolf and a dragon amongst other oddities, until finally he discovers the truth...
Great story, smashing illustrations and a host of memorable characters. Highly recommended.
on 3 October 2001
Our son, almost four, has been spellbound by this imaginative, witty story, which has a sprinkling of colourful, highly original illustrations, almost works of art in themselves. Our boy is just moving his interest from picture-led books to ones where there's more text and more involved narrative. All his favourite things are here - crocs, dinosaurs, Goldilocks, a big bad wolf etc -wrapped up in a whodunnit. Great fun.
on 4 February 2013
My 8 year old son enjoyed reading this. An usual story combining well known characters from many other childrens books. Could have gone a lot further...pirates, crocodiles, princess, frog etc.
Useful to show children how they can recreate their favourite character into any of their own made up stories.
on 24 October 2010
I had bought this for my son as he loves other books by the Janet and Allan
Ahlberg but while this is a great story is just too much text and not enough illustration to hold a four year olds attention.
More suitable for school age children
on 28 June 2013
Nice enough story and illustrations but parts of the plotline seems to be quite similar to those from Alice in Wonderland and Goldilocks (which isn't necessarily a problem if you just see it as an homage).
on 4 January 2012
I loved this book as a child so i bought this for my children , i thought they might like to share the love i had for this book its great value for money .
on 4 January 2016
Loved this book and was happy it hasn't let me down! Bought it for my 4 year old who is loving reading a chapter or 2 at a time :)
on 16 April 2015
My kids grew up on these books & now my grand niece is
Doing the same. Still as captivating now as they were then
on 25 October 2014
Great book. I love these stories. Keeps my kids entertained.
on 2 April 2016
A surreal book for children. Fantastic!