on 26 April 2017
Deep stuff. Good translation.
on 12 January 2018
I read this excellent Camus novel years ago in French. This version in English captures not only the words but also the subtlety Camus intended
on 16 January 2018
This classic is still gripping and a very interesting reminder of the development of existentialism in literature
on 6 May 2012
I got this for my sisters 12th birthday, she loves it and its a good outlet for girls who are just starting puberty and are getting a bit moody!
on 9 November 2012
Great book, my daughter loved it. Lots of wacky ideas and fun things to do.Good ideas for teenager pressies. Other books in series are good too
on 2 October 2017
Excellent read! Would recommend to anyone!
on 15 August 2017
Great book, fantastic, really worth the read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2015
There are not many 20th century French writers who surpass Camus in fame or importance and 'The Outsider' is one of his best known works. A study of not conforming to social convention, of somehow being integrated into the accepted societal fabric only on the surface, may not shock modern readers to the extent it would have after publication in 1942 and will have perhaps a less emotional effect on more mature readers than the coming of age ones but is fundamentally a very intriguing topic aptly handled by the author.

Mersault, a pied noir in Algeria, who on the whole represents pretty much an average, normal existence is exposed to several - by common definition - life altering experiences, without having the expected, socially sanctioned response to them; something for which he ultimately needs to be judged.

The author does little to make his character unduly likeable, something that must have been more novel for a protagonist back in 1942 than it is today. Mersault may be cold, living in the moment, somewhat sociopathic and only imperfectly adjusted - am outsider - but he also comes across as honest to himself and non-conformist as a result, irrespective of consequences.

The book - in addition to the powerful impact on the culture, and thought provoking message for a teenage audience - is also wonderfully written. The prose is evocative and one really finds oneself at beaches in Algeria, smelling the cooking in the restaurants, the sweat on the buses and trams.

As mentioned, the book will have different effects on readers, depending on age and prior experience. It raises some important questions for adolescents to grapple with, which may well produce a response at an emotional level, whereas it may appeal more at a cerebral level for an older audience.

Possibly not as striking as first written, it - in my opinion - belongs to the 20th century classics that should be read (something that with its easy flowing prose and relatively short length does not require an insuperable effort to do).
on 3 April 2015
A strange book with an even stranger central character - I can't quite work out what I think of this story. I did feel sad when it ended and frustrated that there was no more to read so I think this is a sign I enjoyed it, although "enjoy" is not quite the right word . I didn't really engage with, or warm to, the protagonist - but there again I don't think I was supposed to. I found the first half of the narrative pretty mundane - again as intended methinks. If I was to analyse the literary merits of the text I would probably conclude that it was subtly genius , tightly and cleverly constructed. However in terms of really igniting my imagination or stimulating my interest then I would have to conclude that it was pretty mediocre. The ending was very thought provoking; it was sudden, an abrupt guillotine of an ending which was totally in keeping with the narrative style. I'm going to read another story by Camus so that I can have a more informed opinion of whether I do or I don't like his style. I'm really not sure what I think at the moment ...
on 30 January 2013
a very testing little book to all us people with 'rules, boundries and limitations' of what the 'right way' is to do things.
3 people found this helpful