on 19 July 2016
Not a terrible book by any means, I just found it a bit long and drawn out, although I did find it reasonably engaging and it kept me fairly interested to the end. To me it seems very dated, unlike some classic novels, and the complete lack of a plot doesn't help! Just nicely observed day to day lives of the chattering idle classes.
on 6 April 2017
Do not buy this. I assume it's from a print on demand publisher because the font size is so small as to be unreadable and the pages glued so poorly to the spine that the first 13 chapters were missing. Bought a replacement copy from another website. Bought as a set text for A level and the quality is beyond abysmal. Go to another site or buy a copy from a bookshop. Disgusting service
on 11 February 2014
I got this box set at a crazy price, just below £3! It was the last one in stock and reported as damaged. It's only fault was the corner of the boxset which was slightly ripped - that was it!! No damage to the books which is the main thing. They are good quality books in a delightful set. I have not read all of them yet, but I very much enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and I look forward to finishing the set!
on 23 June 2016
Jane Austen is my favourite author. I had to buy another copy of Emma due to loosing my original.
Emma is a really great easy read. i have read this book a few times over the years and find the story and characters charming. I love history, romance and humour and this book has all three. if you like a witty read I strongly recommend this. Who does not need a bit of romance every now and again.
on 20 March 2016
And NOT OF THE STORY ITSELF.
I downloaded this free copy of Emma as I have the book but the font is very small so I'm struggling to read it. Unfortunately this version uses US English, this doesn't work for me when reading Austen, the language is part of it's beauty and charm. There are also spelling mistakes, chuse rather than choose for example. It's terrible. I had to stop reading and downloaded a different edition.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2013
I particularly enjoyed the heroine Emma. She personifies so many well intentioned people,confident of their own powers of judgement, who can and do cause distress in other people's lives.
There was a little too much discussion between various characters where I would have preferred a little less.
I would recommend this book as indeed I would recommend Jane Austen to all those who are interested in the social mores of a bygone age, its history and above to all those who are interested in the many vagaries in human nature. If you want to know all about human nature read Jane Austen.
on 22 February 2015
Chosen as part of a book group read to go alongside the original version.

Very lightweight and having set up good characterizations along the way, which were amusing and pertinent to the characters depicted, McCall Smith then seemed to get bored with the whole topic of Emma and her matchmaking and the ending was rushed and disappointing. There was none of the build up or irony or wittiness that Jane Austen's denoument held and consequently it was all rather flat.
His books on the lady detectives of Africa are a lot better!
on 8 April 2017
I found this more difficult to read than Pride and Prejudice. I knew the story having seen a TV adaptation and the film. I liked Emma as a character though - I have read reviews before where readers really do not like her. I did get a bit bored with Mr Woodhouse constantly worrying about everyone catching a cold!
on 6 November 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story remains true to the original, but there are some slight alterations that make the story unfold a little differently. I felt these changes were clever and successfully developed in such a way that they kept my interested eager to know what would happen next. If you are an Austin and McCall Smith fan you will probably enjoy this book.
on 19 October 2016
Some misprints - but that happens quite often in books these days. An interesting novel evoking the period very different from today. Dialogue is very long winded. But nevertheless an interesting period in English history. I think I prefer her earlier work.