Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2017
'A Clockwork Orange' is a writer's treasure trove of ideas and techniques, and does nothing short of spark the imagination in one's gulliver, O my brothers. Written in nadsat, the teenage slang of the time, a mix of Russian, Cockney Rhyming Slang, and gipsy, 'A Clockwork Orange' is told through the first person perspective of Alex, our humble narrator, who takes us through his story of being compelled and consumed by his love of a bit of the old ultra-violence, a bit of twenty-to-one.

'A Clockwork Orange' is a fable propositioning us with the right to choose between being dobby and being oozhassny, and to not become a clockwork orange ourselves - organic on the outside, but mechanical and working for the machine of what 'authority' wants on the inside, for to be as such is to be soulless, O my brothers.
review image
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2017
Thought-provoking story and really allows you to sympathise with the protagonist. It has a deep, underlying meaning to the story once you get your head around the mixture of slav language and Russian which adds to the uniqueness of the book. Espesially appreciated this edition as it includes additional essays and extracts that explains in detail the author's intentions.
on 10 October 2015
When I first began reading this book I was rather daunted by the language Burgess used which is an anglicized form of Russian.

But if you stay with it you'll find a great story and a classic of the twentieth century. The film is more famous the book but it really should be the other way around. Excellent.
on 26 April 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the read, took a bit of getting used to however with the fictional NasDat language being used throughout.
on 30 May 2016
basic quality book but ideal for a quick read
on 24 May 2017
Not worth the effort of reading!!
on 30 September 2016
5 stars for the book, but quite frankly I don't like the cover
on 17 May 2014
It is unfair to judge this book and say it is using a made up language as it is not. Burgess uses slang from the world that he created which obviously will make it a challenge however it is worth the challenge to read thid book. I found this edition very helpful due to the inclusion of a glossary for when I was struggling with the language. It truely is a classic in the way it was written I would highly recomend it to anyone studying english however not if you are easily effected by distressing content. Violence and rape is included in this book so don't read it if you can't handle it, although not described in imense super detail Burgess does go through what the boys do. I am very happy I bought this edition as the extara content is interesting and great for helping you further understand the novel, further more it is the nicest feeling book I have ever read and I would recomend buying this just to have a feel of the ridiculously smooth pages.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2016
I don't think I quite got this book. Its seen as a classic and has banned because of its graphic violent nature. But to be honest i'm not quite sure why. To reinforce the gang culture (i think) Burgess has made up a new slang language for the character, which lead me to spend a lot of time thinking 'what has he just done?'. The version that I had didn't have a glossary of the slang so I was just left to puzzle it out and I feel that this detracted from the horror/shock factor that the book is known for.
That's not to say that the book could be full of fluffy bunnies and butterflies. The book does portray Alex leading a very violent and brutal life. He is sentenced to prison and then experimented on, in an attempt to make him a 'nice' person. What actually happens is he is conditioned in a way that should be banned against using in all animals and humans.
The book raises many questions and I could see many interesting debates arising. In that respects this is a must read. But it takes effort and brain power. Its not a quick, easy if horrifying book that I thought it may be.
Not sure if I want to watch the film or not, I normally will after reading a book that has been converted. May give it a miss this time.
on 31 December 2014
very popular book, but not for me. Is it because of the natsnat ( or something like that) language that he invented that it was almost unreadable for me? Maybe native English speakers find more clear understandings but for me it was a long struggle.
I have seen the movie once also and didn't like it neither, too abstract