Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 October 2013
I was rather daunted by the price when I first saw this reviewed and then saw a copy in a bookshop. £50 did seem rather a lot even for 2.5k pages. However, when Amazon brought the price down by about £20 I took the plunge. On dipping in and out of this book I can now say that the original price was still worth it. This is a marvellous insight into a great mind which flows over so many different topics with grace and confidence. Even the sections where the sentences are long and rambling are revealing of Leopardi working through a particular train of thought in a diverting way. The publishers are bringing out a paperback in September 2014, but I would advise that you seriously think about buying the hardback. The paper is very thin, but of good quality, and I had the feeling that such a large paperback would begin to fall apart after some reading (although Penguin may decide on a two volume edition to cope with this, I wouldn't bet on it.) Buy and enjoy.
on 24 September 2013
It's unlikely that I will ever finish this book, but that's not the point. And what a prospect! A companion for life. Opening one of the 2500 pages leads me to thinking and ideas that are so clear and fresh, all the more so for not being in our contemporary style of writing, but still so accessible.

It is a substantial hardcover book but the paper is obviously wafer thin to fit the pages into a book about 5cm thick. This makes the pages feel fragile, to be handled with the same care as reading the contents. Definitely not for my e-book collection.

A great present for a person who really enjoys books and reading.
on 19 November 2014
I purchased the hardback version and I am very pleased. The authors have made an excellent job of translating Leopardi's biblical Zibaldone in English. Having gone through some sections of the original Italian version I soon realized that the enchanting aspect of Leopardi's style had not been lost. His contrived arguments still provoke a subtle need to unravel and unlock his most intimate thoughts on an infinite variety of subjects, from classical to modern literature, science and philosophy, all wrapped up in a melancholic veil characteristic of the anticipation of the postmodern era.

The index provides the necessary information to navigate through the 2000 pages of writings, by classifying each of Leopardi's entries by subject (e.g. Love, Life, War, Homer, etc.).
on 6 September 2013
this fascinating but very thick book is not intended for a systematic read but is perfect for dipping into. there is something of philosophical or literary interest on every page but not many will chime with leopaedi's exceptionally bleak world view.
on 21 August 2014
A wonderful book that I can dip into whenever I need a antidote to the noise of contemporary debate