on 2 May 2016
Excellent reading. Could not literally put it down. Great addition to my library. I love this book. Buy it folks. You won't regret it.
on 6 February 2013
This book was beautifully presented. The cover design reflects the period covered by the stories... As one who enjoys the whole book experience ie looking through it, holding it, turning the pages, it is a pleasure to have as a possession. Of course it will also be very enjoyable to read.
on 7 July 2017
not as in love with the author's earlier writings, but still a lovely collection with gorgeous 20's inspired cover art.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 August 2017
⭐️👌🏻
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 March 2016
First published in theearly 1920's, this is a collection of eight short stories. I'm nota huge fan of either the author or the genre, but I found each tale interesting, for different reasons. I like the title; two strong and diametrically opposed 'concepts'. I also admire the way Fitzgerald writes such strong female characters. In many ways, it's difficult to believe these stories are pushing 100 years old. Whilst some of the attitudes are outmoded, the sense of vibrancy and life I each one is very contemporary. I enjoyed them far more than I thought I might and it's interesting to see this early work in the wider context of his later acclaimed novels. A couple of these stories have the feel of the rough workings for a longer novel...who knows.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 May 2015
If you’ve read ‘Gatsby’ then you already know what a wonderful writer Fitzgerald is. Here we have 640 pages of short stories – they cover 45 tales and the page range is from 40 per tale, to as little as 6 pages per tale. The book is presently beautifully and is not expensive to buy. I have the hard back version.
The book and stories are split into three time frames, from several of his books, which includes both novellas and most of his short stories. The time frames are: 1920 - 1922, 1926 – 1935 and 1937 – 1940, so between the wars if you like, covering such historical events as:
The Jazz Age
The Industrial Revolution &
The Great Depression
I have read four of the longer stories thus far - all immensely interesting and perfectly put together. It remains on my coffee table to pick up a will. It is just perfect if you have an hour to kill and don’t want to waste it! A perfect book should you like to read for an hour or so before nodding off to get your beauty sleep. I am going to enjoy this book for a long while yet.
on 17 February 2012
Scott Fitzgerald was in a league of his own and his literary expertise excels in this collection of short stories. His use of prose is intoxicatingly beautiful , he paints with his words canvasses of unrivalled eloquence. Every story in this book is a standout for one reason or another , unmistakenly Fitzgerald with all the hallmarks that made him a genius. Fitzgerald spawned a generation of great writers with his work , many of his stories were precursors to the hard boiled and noir genre but with softer edges and softer prose. There are paragraphs in the Great Gatsby that are considered to be the pinnacle in the history of American literature and there are glimpses of that to be found in this superb collection of his short stories.
on 2 November 2016
A fat but portable collection of short stories selected from three books of Fitzgerald's stories. The paper is smooth and of a good quality. The cover hovers between garish and glamorous but don't try to hide it on your book-shelves or it will sulk; it wants to be seen.
The introduction is helpful. I am looking forward to winter evenings of reading these stories and getting lost in the world of Flappers and Philosophers.
Just glancing through this book, delectable mouth-watering imagery jumps out from the pages. It's about the writing which is beautiful.
on 9 April 2012
I love this book, and Fitzgerald is an amazing writer. However, this Kindle book has so many spelling mistakes that I found it very hard to read. I even had to guess what the author originally meant to write in some instances. I couldn't finish it, which is a shame. I really wish the publishers would check the books before they make them available.
I would give the story, and Fitzgerald, 5 stars. If you want to read this book, get a different version.
on 9 June 2017
This collection of short stories is a wonderful view of American life a century ago. The storylines are generally timeless and reflect Fitzgeralds understanding of the human condition. I enjoyed the experience.