Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2017
A beautiful, simply written book set in ancient India at the time of the Buddha, wherein Siddhartha (the son of a Brahmin) sets off from home looking for enlightenment. He travels the countryside, meets different religious groups whose teachings he ends up rejecting, falls in love, has a son who abandons him, becomes rich then gives everything away, becomes a ferryman and eventually sort of understands the meaning of life. The society in which it is set is an alien one, yet I think the appeal of this book lies in the universal resonance of Siddhartha’s search for meaning and the many mistakes he makes along the way. His ultimate revelations have a sense of elegant wisdom:

“I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment, and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace.”
on 1 July 2015
This is one of those books that I reread from time to time. Its easy-to-read, beautiful prose along with a compelling, deep philosophical story of the man in search of meaning for his life has made of this book a timeless classic.

I have recommended it countless times to everyone I meet and I will keep doing so.
on 13 July 2017
This is how literature should be, Siddhartha takes you to a different place.
As a German married to an Indian lady this all blends into my life.
on 6 November 2016
A moving tale of a young man's lifelong quest to rid himself of ego and find peace, enlightenment and spiritual wisdom.

One of those books that really makes you look at life in a different way. I can see myself returning to this book many times.
on 22 May 2012
This is quite a short novel, which I believe was very popular in the 60's. It contains some interesting concepts and indian philosophy and will appeal to anyone with an interest in meditation, the 'pursuit' of enlightenment or philosophy. I read it perhaps too quickly, and while interesting it did not have a massive impact on me. However I did enjoy it and recommend it to anyone who is interested in this kind of book. I think it will mull around in my head for a while.
on 29 April 2014
One of the first books I red when starting my spiritual search. It is indeed, the story of each one of us, with all the stages we go through from the moment we are born till the moment we die. The great bit about the book is that it allows mistake, it is not the story of the perfect being, having a perfect life, but of a random person having ups and downs in their search for enlightment.
A brilliant must-read book that brings hope to humanity and delights the restless soul.
on 6 August 2017
My daughter loves them I got them as refresher for the holidays to keep her brain active and she won't put them down and I couldn't get her to read her school books to me lol
on 19 July 2017
A remarkable story told with great sympathy and humanity.
on 23 January 2015
An interesting story with plenty of twists and turns. Read it over three days, but was unable to predict where it was going. Useful tit-bits about dying to self, awareness and contemplation. Certainly not a manual on Buddhism.
on 10 December 2012
this is my favourite book because i have read it every decade since i was 16 and each time i understand the story more than i did the time before and see it in a different way - maybe it takes the experience of a lifetime to truly finish this book