Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2014
This is a great tale yes, but it is also an excellent introduction to the true philosophy of Buddhism. If you're interested in Buddhist philosophy (i.e. not the religious garbage) then this is a must-buy.
on 16 January 2015
If you let the message of this book marinade your soul you will never be the same again. It takes us a little further than some forms of Buddhism emphasising that all polarities are really illusions, hiding the true unity of all
on 30 May 2013
A superb book which seems to encapsulate the essential teachings of Buddhism. This book benefits from an excellent translation which faithfully conveys the meaning of the text in a thoroughly eloquent way. A pity that it is not available as an eBook.
on 1 February 2016
This book is not without problems. As others have noted, some of the translation leaves it feeling lacking, but then I often find that with translation of 'higher concepts' from German, and without wanting to introduce a spoiler, getting pernickety on this is to miss the point of the book. I also found -as a 'Buddhist' tale- that it replicated the concerns I've had about the life of Siddharta Gautama as being of some rich dude freeing himself from earthly concerns (including the responsibility of raising a child which is left to the mother). Androcentric and classist, this text certainly is, including at one point including an assertion from the female protagonist that rape is impossible, and not concerning itself with the freedom the Brahmin Siddhartha has to choose to give up/take up the wealth of the world at will in order to facilitate a journey.
That said, this book arrived in my hands at a right time, and its message was transformative. So for all the significant faults, this has capacity to be a really really good 'read'.
on 16 September 2013
Siddhartha is a short and easy book to read but its message is 100% helpful and gave so much insight to the human condition of a restless mind to those who have too much already. To the people of the first world realize that we are over fed, waste water and have too much money. The rest of the world do not have time to wonder what will will make them happy and ease their restless minds as they have no water or food.
Give generously and wake up.
on 3 May 2015
Hermann Hesse designed Siddhartha as a brahmin probably to simplify the story of his acquisition of scriptural knowledge early in life. But it is a bit surprising to see many reviewers focus on his brahmin identity, since the story applies to all in 2015 and not merely to brahmins. Siddhartha makes the journey from non-absolute knowledge to absolute knowledge by staying true to the experience of life as the truth of life reveals itself to him through its ups and downs and its impact on his body and mind. Each iteration of knowledge acquisition brings a new way of looking at the same things differently (like Thomas Kuhn's paradigm shifts) till absolute knowledge is reached. The Buddha made the journey first and all of us can make it as per him. This story is an inspiration to every thinking person keen on experiencing life deeply.
on 8 June 2013
I loved this book. I have been looking for some spiritual guidance . I found it in Siddhartha. It is a book I will read many times . My thoughts that time is " man made " was clarified in this book.
on 4 November 2010
I have read many books around the area of enlightenment and themes about finding oneself and their path but none come close to this. This book manages squeezes down one man's life in what is really not much more than a short storey, with all the different paths and journeys he has along the way. The authors skill at understanding and conveying to the reader each one of these paths is amazing, you would be forgiven for thinking he actually had experienced these thoughts and feelings and was not just writing from imagination and the visual sense. I am not sure what a truly eastern enlightened mind would make of this book but from my western point of view this is one of the greatest books ever written.

It's one of them books that you don't want to end, as I neared the last few pages my mind purposely read slower to try delay the evitable. I haven't read any of his other books but I am planning to now, I doubt they will live up to my first introduction to Hermann Hesse but then again I am not sure any other book ever will! (if anyone reads this and can recommended a book that is up there with this one please mention it in your review of Siddhartha)
on 3 January 2015
To put it very simply, it tells the story of a journey that a brahmin takes in search of his purpose and meaning of life in order to find inner peace. The myriad of messages from this novel has left be breathless and has raised many questions. I think I can now appreciate the term 'spiritual'.
on 9 February 2014
OK so you are sceptical of anything which challenges you to think about how you approach living your life.
Maybe this book is not for you. But if you are able to meet the challenge, go for it.
For me this book has so many levels.
I read this first, then I went on to read 'The Power of Now'.