Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2006
The poems in this anthology perfectly encompass the literary pop culture of Britain in the 60's. At first reading, the exceptional poetry by the three authors seem somewhat silly, yet very entertaining. The styles vary many times, never to bore the now-interested reader. After a surface look, you can look deeper into the poetry, and the verse goes from clever to beautiful. These poets were much more than mirrors for the times they lived in, but they analyzed and simplified dozens of subjects, from Batman to the bomb, all in the beautifully wacky poetry they put in this book. A classic poetry book and an entertaining read at the same time, this anthology is a must-have.
I lost my battered paperback copy of this anthology some years ago and was delighted to find it on kindle. Here are three poets at their best: Brian Patten, Adrian Henri and Roger McGough. Lots of references to Beat poets, Beat bands (one in particular crops up a few times, but as they are the best band ever that's fine!) and the Bomb. This is very evocative of a certain place and a particular era, but the poems are surprisingly fresh on re-reading them and also - as good poetry always is - relevant to concerns now as well as then. This kindle book is nicely formatted and well presented and I enjoyed reading it again very much.
on 27 July 2014
I was given this book in paperback form when first published, and I was a first year art student. When I moved to Liverpool for my art degree Adrian Henri was still a fairly regular presence in those early 70's pubs, places where new bands and poets could share an informal stage, improvise, try new ideas. Times gone by. But I still have that paperback.

If you yourself are a creative spirit, or perhaps interested in what might be described as Britain's answer to the American Beat poets and writers, you should buy this, and you should buy "The Amazing Adventures Of The Liverpool Scene" CD. You should then ban everyone in your household from watching X-factor.
on 13 September 2013
..........on the back of my open backed bus I found it hard to read a book.....those old buses did bounce a lot and then there was the passengers, nagging, demanding tickets, information and other silly stuff. So I tried short stories, but that was almost the same. 'Poetry' I thought, 'that's the answer' and yes it was easier to concentrate on, given it's short snappy lines with a complete story or message on a page or even in a verse or two. Of course reading standing up on the tail end of a bus in the cold of a Cardiff winter eventually takes it's toll. I did end up just looking at picture books and graduated from The Art of the Renaissance through most schools to finally find the easiest to handle physically and I admit, intellectually, was kids comics. BUT those months with verse never left me. I've never forgotten Betjeman or Wilde. Whitman and Eliot, Ginsberg and Dylan, both Thomas and Zimmerman etc. And so, I am at a loss why it took me 43 years to buy this book again.....do it now !.....buy it !......don't worry if you weren't there (the 60's that is) just buy it.........it's simply great......
on 25 December 2008
I saw Adrian Henri, Roger McGough and Brian Patten perform numerous times when they were promoting this and subsequent anthologies. Always entertaining they sparked my love of poetry, this is the best place to start for an intro into the irreverent, beautiful, sad, sardonic, funny and romantic view of the Sixties from a Merseyside point of view. Start with Tonight At Noon (Henri) and move through the works of 3 poets at the height of their youthful (then ) powers!
on 25 February 2014
Had this book in paperback some 40-50 years ago, heard one of the poems at Hayley Croppers funeral [Coronation Street] & thought I'd like to revisit it. Not surprisingly it has dated somewhat, but I still enjoyed reading it after all this time A good read for those like me who were part of the "swinging 60's"!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2009
Folowing a TV program about the Liverpool Poets I looked on Amazon and replaced my long lost copy. Excellent.
on 1 July 2009
Described as a classic of British poetry and rightly so. Excellent collection of poems (so far, I haven't read them all) which give a snapshot of life and the culture of Liverpool in the 60's. Well worth the money.
on 17 December 2012
You had to have been there to love all the poems, some have not travelled well. But it is a record of the time and marked a change in attitude to poetry and how it should look and sound.
on 21 May 2009
This is the book that got me into poetry (reading and writing). It takes me back to 1970, when I was 18, and still reads as good now. Probably not for todays teens though.