Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2017
The book itself is a classic, an introverted look at a man who's lost his raison d'etre. His existential reflections at the end are very insightful.
In all it's a very relatable and good book. most people will connect with it to some degree.

About the quality of the book itself, nicely made, no type errors or build errors, all good there.
on 21 June 2017
Quick delivery.. I am still reading but just what i wanted.
on 24 August 2017
Excellent
on 13 July 2017
Very good condition.
on 10 February 2015
At first It took me some time getting used to the writing style. It was different, unlike anything I had ever read before. Written in the style of diary entries by a character named Antoine Roquentin, a writer who lives alone spending his time wandering the streets of Bouville, reflecting on his past times when he was an adventurer and had a wife named Anny.
This Isn't one of those novels that you would pick up when you're bored or need something to pass time. To really appreciate it you have to read it slowly. Many of you will relate to Antoine deeply and if you're one of them then you'll be so very glad to have found this book. Sartre is able to express through words what we often think but struggle to verbalise.
Each chapter is beautifully written, you may find yourself smiling or laughing at times at the brilliant use of satirical humour.

I have to say that this is definitely my favourite book so far. Oh and if you have ever or do presently suffer with depression then you will either be thrilled to have discovered it or leave it incomplete. So anybody out there with depression, or other mood disorders, just to warn you, you may find this book triggering.
on 6 July 2015
Very efficient, thank you.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2012
I first read this book when I was a student, in the original French. Then, frankly, I thought the protagonist, Roquentin (and by extension the author, Sartre) was a social misfit, a bore and half-mad to boot. The book depressed me: it was de-stabilising, I felt vaguely threatened by it. 40 years on and the situation - and by that I mean primarily the psychological situation, although 'external' circumstances have changed too - is quite different. So my first observation is that if you are young and still full of the joys of Spring, it is possibly more difficult to connect with this book, which is ostensibly about a man for whom the chewing-gum of life has lost it flavour. Ultimately, the novel is about the nature of meaning, in particular the absence of it. Loss of meaning is something which may strike many of us at some point or other: the question is whether we confront and deal with it, or ignore it and anaesthetise or distract ourselves. Roquentin is a man of few roots, which makes it difficult for him to avoid the issue of meaninglessness. As he describes his experience, we get to grips with the related ground: reality/perception, alienation/relationship, time, identity, despair, freedom, action and art - indeed the whole kit and caboodle of so-called existential angst. Clue: the book does not take you to a destination but it may lead you to a jumping-off point. Tip: don't take it too seriously :-)
on 14 December 2009
I wondered whether after all the other reviews it would be worth adding another opinion, after all would my view, existing only on the absurdity that is the net, mean anything and could or would it exist for all time or until no one was around to see it; would it come into existence when someone else had read it. Am I only providing this review to validate my reality?

Nausea was Sartre's first novel demonstrating his existential philosophy. It is very much more the monolog of Roquentin; there really are very few other characters only Anny and the Autodidactic - who I took to represent as it were `love' and `other people' in anyone's life experience. I suppose like most first novels Sartre was honing his craft perhaps even his philosophy. The story itself is quite shallow but the ideas about life inflate the tale to something significantly more worthy (so job done!). It is more readable as a narrative than say Pessoa's "Book of Disquiet" but perhaps doesn't have the colour or humour. If you wondered what you might expect I now present a few quotes from the book:

"It is I, it is I who pull myself from nothingness to which I aspire: hatred and disgust for existence are just so many ways of making me exist, of thrusting me into existence."

"I exist that's all. And that particular trouble is so vague, so metaphysical, that I am ashamed of it."

"....there's nothing, nothing, absolutely no reason for existing."

"I dreamed vaguely of killing myself, to destroy at least of these superfluous existences. But my death itself would have been superfluous......I was superfluous for all time."

I had previously passed the time enjoying the trilogy of Age of Reason, Reprieve and Iron in the Soul. These offer a much more engaging story with an arc of characters that develop in a very interesting pre to post war France period but you still get the existentialism. If you like stories and haven't read any Sartre before, I'd suggest you start with AofR first and progress from there.
on 8 September 2015
I want to fight Sartre. I can't tell whether I dislike this book because it is truly Not as good as people make it out to be or if it's because I'm biased and eager to please Albert Camus, even from beyond the grave. I'm definitely biased. Read this book, don't read this book, just fight this little old man for me.
on 2 September 2014
Not at all revolutionary as many claim, in fact pretty dull and repetitive. Just basic concepts on reality which have been thought out far FAR better by Sheldrake, McKenna and Rushdie