HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 February 2018
I am not too sure when I first read this book, but it was many, many years ago, and I still love to return to it for yet another re-reading. Personally, for me this is my favourite of Camus’ work, and there is a lot of the author here in various characters.

First published in 1947, although popular it did have its detractors and made many ask awkward questions at their and other’s roles in the War, both because it defied the official position, and did not set out to condemn those who were collaborators. Since then this has always remained in print and has been admired by many.

Set in Oran in the Forties, so we can see this is an allegory of France and the way things went in the Second World War. That is the usual stance that people take with this, but in many ways this can be a bit simplistic, because you could argue that this takes in the Holocaust, and indeed any other situation where conditions occur that are outside of our control, such as the plague here, or even nowadays you could say Brexit.

Our narrator remains unidentified at the beginning of this, but we do know who it is by the end, although to be honest you should have worked out who it is long before then. Although set in Oran, the coastal town in Algeria we only hear from the white European community, thus reinforcing the purpose of this, and what the allegory refers to. With plague coming upon the town so the place has restrictions placed upon it and thus people are trapped in the town, separated from friends, family and loved ones.

So we follow the characters here as they come to certain decisions, and carry out these, and we see the consequences. With some biblical overtones so some of the characters’ attitudes alter, and thus the human condition is brought to life. Of course there are people who are in desperation and expect others to do any work, and there are others that have ideas and demands, but don’t actually want to do the hard work that these would create. And finally, we have those who just quietly get on with things, the heroes of this if you like, who are not after anything, but want to get things back to normal as quickly and efficiently as possible.

This always makes me think of this country, and what would happen with an epidemic. After all we were not ready for World War Two, although a EU Referendum was held there turned out to be no plans for leaving, and with the flu over the end of last year, hospitals found themselves overstretched. In all then this is well worth reading, and makes you ponder what you would do in times of trouble, and how you would help others – or not. Ambiguous in that no one is set up here as a hero, and in that there is no ultimate message, this is very thoughtful, and would make a good choice for book groups.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 May 2017
It's a thought-provoking book. It made me think more about how we live and how we die. The subject matter isn't very cheerful (the clue's in the title!), but I didn't find it very depressing. On the contrary, it's a satisfying story of humanity: most people are good.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 March 2018
I last read, or rather studied this as an exam text in French some 50 years ago. I had a Penguin paperback translation, long since lost and I wondered whether the English text would stand the test of time. It does. It's as compelling now as it was when I first read it. On the one hand, it's a personal journey about disease control. But look a little deeper and it's a multi layered tale which explores the human condition and is a metaphorical comment on the German occupation of France.

From a 21st century perspective, it's striking that there are no female characters. And no Arabs. That aside, I enjoyed revisiting this title.
on 28 April 2015
Haven't read this since I studied it for 'A Level' French. A real classic of French literature which is based on a town Camus actually had lived in - the allegory of the Nazi Occupation as a plague is subtly portrayed and the characters are portrayed brilliantly.
5 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2018
Good translation : I read this in French at A-level, and was glad to be taken back to its deceptive simplicity and depth
on 27 September 2014
You can read this as a gripping page-turner or as an exposition of Existentialism. In either event or both, it's highly recommended. Camus writes well, managing to evoke the real feel of old Oran under French rule. Most highly commended. If you like this, try 'L'etranger' by the same author.
on 13 May 2018
Very good
on 7 August 2015
This is the second copy of The Plague I have read and every time I read the book it still feels fresh and insightful and relevant in todays world events.
on 23 October 2016
An obvious master of his craft but it didn't excite me.
on 18 March 2018
Not an easy read, but worth it of you give it the time it deserves. I would thoroughly recommend this.