Customer reviews

A Room of One's Own (Penguin Modern Classics)
Format: Paperback|Change

I really enjoyed reading this! I found it a very interesting and intriguing read, especially from the viewpoint of nearly 100 years later on the attitudes and predictions of the future. Virginia Woolf argues that "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction" (hence the title of this essay), and it is split into six chapters, progressing towards her overall viewpoint. A highly recommended read! Some of my favourite/interesting quotes...
- "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well"
- "Why are women, judging from this catalogue, so much more interesting to men than men are to women?"
- "There is no gate, no lock, no bolt, that you can set upon the freedom of my mind"
- "It is fatal for anyone who writes to think of their sex"
- "Women have always been poor, not for 200 years, but from the beginning of time"
on 11 September 2017
Fantastic Product & Great Seller!
on 19 May 2017
Great book. Brilliantly narrated by Juliet Stevenson
on 27 January 2014
It does what it is made for, but in a really stylish cover. It is also part of a set.
on 14 May 2017
Well made and of really good quality. It's been a very popular present.
on 16 September 2017
Wonderful exploration of the restraints that shackle women. A must for everyone who has an opinion on feminism. Bravo Virginia, you live on.
on 25 May 2017
Good read
on 18 September 2017
Woolf writes incredibly, with great humour and speaks such sense.
on 11 February 2015
it's a nice notebook with the penguin cover in memory of the great writer Virginia Woolf
on 23 June 2016
As much as I want to, I cannot get on with Virginia Woolf. I've tried (twice!) to read Mrs Dalloway and only get about half-way through before I admit defeat. As an aspiring writer, I thought this might be more to my taste. However, it is Woolf's rambling writing style that I find really hard and, despite my interest in the subject matter, she went off the point so often that it was hard to pick out what the point actually was! I spoke to a very well-read friend and she suggested that I try Orlando so I'll give that a go but I may just have to accept that I am not a fan. Third time lucky maybe!