Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 December 2016
Wide Sargasso Sea is Rhys multi-layered and complex prelude to Charlotte Bronte’s ‘Jane Eyre’ it gives a name, a voice and more importantly an identity to the mad woman in the attic Mr Rochester has locked away in ‘Jane Eyre.’ A postcolonial response this poignant evocation of the bitter romance between the white Creole heiress Antionette Cosway and the increasingly cold Englishman Mr Rochester, Rhys creates a relationship that is intense with the rage of desire and marked by deep tragedy, similarities to Jane Eyre are abound within the story for the literary train-spotters out there.

The story is set in wild, magical Jamaican scenery, and the beauty of the country is beautifully depicted as is the trouble and confusion on West Indian sugar estates in the aftermath of emancipation. Not only is most of the black population as poor as ever, white people are stuck in poverty too. Rhys shows that the movement from colonialism to a racial-political independence, but rather from one form of slavery to another. Some people would argue that you have to have read Jane Eyre first to get this and others that you do not, in my opinion just for the ending of Wide Sargasso Sea to have even more meaning and depth Jane Eyre is essential reading.
on 26 January 2015
As a fan of this book since reading it in school, I got it as a Christmas present for a friend who also wanted to read it. The story of the renowned 'mad woman in the attic' first invented by Charlotte Bronte, "Wide Sargasso Sea" gives the character a proper name and origin and examines the source of her "madness". Born into a white family in Jamaica, young Creole heiress Antoinette Cosway is thrust into a life where she does not have a place among either white or black people, nor with her parent's idea of a husband (Mr Rochester). Coerced into further decline by him and her peers, her mental instabilities (the supposed "madness") are left to fester as she is virtually shut away and imprisoned in the attic. Penned by Dominica born Jean Rhys in first person narrative for the three main characters; Antoinette, Rochester and Antoinette's guardian, Grace Poole, "Wide Sargasso Sea" is a brilliant tale of a woman's misfortunes in marriage.
on 11 June 2017
Such a good surprise!
I had to read this for my book club and I was really reluctant to read a 'prequel' to my beloved "Jane Eyre", but this was beautifully written and so different in tone and setting, with a completely different energy that it was immensely enjoyable on its own merits. I did feel it added to my understanding of Mr Rochester and my enjoyment of the original book.
Also, it's super short, so great for these bookclub months when everyone is really busy. No harm in being pragmatic!
on 20 August 2017
my all time favorite but missing from my bookcase to a non returned borrower.The book that arrived was in first class condition and resembled mine so much it fills the gap as tho it was always there .The read is urging you to read on discover a world we thankfully dont know today .
on 1 February 2017
I loved this book. It is set in sections with each section raising a different voice.
The story of poor 'Bertha' really affected the way I thought of the Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre.
on 17 June 2013
I had heard a great deal about this novel, and perhaps that led to unrealistic expectations. The story is certainly both moving and powerful, but I found the writing style somewhat lacking in cohesion. I couldn't engage with it very well, and actually didn't finish the book. I do appreciate that this book is a classic of its kind - it simply isn't my style of narrative.
on 16 February 2017
Not easy to read. Not always clear who is the narrator.
on 31 January 2014
So disappointed with this book. Felt it was totally disjointed, none of the characters made me feel sympathetic towards them. It was the latest book chosen by my book club - so wish I'd just stopped reading it - a waste of 4 hours of my life!
on 16 April 2017
Decent product as you would expect.
on 16 September 2017