on 13 January 2018
Excellent service. Enjoyed the language etc but the subject was so creepy.... it makes you feel really uncomfortable at times. It was someone else’s choice at our book club!
on 21 August 2017
A fascinating work I'd read a long time ago.
Puzzling in parts especially in today's 'climate'.
on 17 December 2015
I saw the movies (the 1962 and 1997 adaptations) and I bought this book. A very odd, sinister book as it makes you look at it from Humbert's point of view. Very well written.
on 2 December 2014
It's an amazing work of literature and well worth a read. I didn't translate the french and don't think I lost too much in this. It's a complicated read, slow, uncomfortable, funny and sad at times. It will occasionally feel like a slog but you will want to finish the book and find out how it ends. Far better and more interesting than the movie, as usual.
on 27 December 2013
Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed this book. Based in the perspective of an unreliable narrator, the story's reliability can be questioned and assumptions can be interpreted. Nabokov explores complex issues which would have been hugely contradictory in the time period it was written in, and therefore can be commended on his success and empathy of such characters. For younger readers, it may be quite a difficult read to get into, so only for the unnecessary wordiness of some sequences I give it 4 stars.
on 15 May 2016
A great book, very funny. I only read it a month ago but I am going to read it again next week. Highly enjoyable!
on 31 May 2013
Anyone coming to this expecting Brass Eye levels of representation will be disappointed. However, the central character is cleverly represented as a bit of a pompous goon and the reader chuckles at his lack of self-knowledge. Especially for someone who boasts of his brilliance. I used part of this in class with my media students and they just didn't get it because it's a bit subtle. Metaphors are used to describe lewd acts but, all in all, it is responsible in it's representations and is highly recommended.
on 4 January 2018
Just right
on 24 September 2013
Where to start, it's well written and a classic. It's very uncomfortable to read if you're a normal human being but the story captivates in a 'oh my Gosh- this is awful' kind of way!

I'd recommend it in so far as it truly is a classic.
on 4 August 2010
You're only going to consider buying this if you already love the book, so there's no need for any of that here.

Irons excels at the laconic tone with which the bulk of the narration is delivered. Lines written in distaste are rendered perfectly:

'a monstrously plump, sallow, repulsively plain girl of at least fifteen'

'The poor woman was in her late thirties'

His Haze women could be shriller (and one has to strain not to contrive some awful rhyme with 'Schiller' here - few reviewer habits are worse than the Wodehousian who writes in a pre-lapsarian gallop), but I'm prepared to let that slide in exchange for a great Humbert, which is what we have here.

My only criticism, and it ceases to be a problem after four minutes, would be his interpretation of John Ray, to whom Nabokov gave the epithet 'suave' but who could easily pass for Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood.

I hugely recommend this CD.