Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2015
I came across this book whilst studying a module with the Open University, K260 Death and Dying. Still fairly recently-widowed (16 months when module began) I felt worse than in the first year after my husband's death and was convinced I was going quietly mad. This book showed me I was perfectly normal, that issues which had complicated my loss (particularly financial and lack of family/friends to support me) had made the grieving harder and - I had contributed by pushing myself too hard, mainly because it is what society expects, nay, demands, that we be 'back to normal' as soon as possible. Further evidence for the survival of my sanity was found, later in 2011, when I joined Way Up,a group online for widowed over-50s but that's another story!
on 4 October 2013
One of the must have books for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Looks at many different forms of grief and the complexities, very comprehensive,
on 3 April 2017
Good book
on 20 May 2016
I'm half way through a counselling degree and thought this book sounded useful. This review is based on the first twenty pages, because, frankly, it was torture to carry on any further. It was like listening to Sir Humphrey going off on one of his wild academic rambles, and you end up thinking what the hell is he going on about. In plain english please. If you're a member of mensa or you revel in academia for academia's sake then maybe this book is for you. I found it unreadable.
on 3 May 2011
I have only started reading the book and to date have found it appealing and very helpful! I didn't think I had any hidden fears or guilt feelings, but have found out I have.

For this reason I am taking the book slowly and am finding when I do it this way and apply it to my own owm particular cirumstances I am getting more value out of it.

I feel that if I read too much of it all at once I would be glossing over and may in effect miss something very important and helpful for ME!
on 25 September 2013
Same old thing, sanctimoniously dished out. Why is bereavement so bog standard, one must wonder. Pointless book. It is just more feed for the bereavement industry.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2013
Easier read than some other related theories. Nice concise size. I like this author's approach to the related topic, helps with understanding.
on 9 July 2015
On my booklist so had to buy it but glad I did. It is very informative, useful and easy to read.
on 9 June 2013
Lots of solid experience and used stratagies makes you want to carry on training to bring out into society that help through this most difficult time can be found not far away.
Great basis for training councellors.
on 17 December 2014
Very informative, great thank you