Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2017
An easy read - but not my favourite book by Catherine Alliott - wished the ending happened earlier and we found out more about what happened at the end!
on 9 November 2014
Wonderful book. Brilliant holiday read - I was 'shipping' all through the book! The book group is hilarious, I wish I lived in this village. Would recommend, this is more complex than a lot of chic lit.
on 3 September 2017
Great read! Really funny.
on 2 May 2017
Great book, really enjoyed it
on 11 April 2017
Really good read
on 5 February 2012
I have been hooked on this author since her first wonderful complexed story lines of old to her now somewhat roll out storyline of recent years. I have enjoyed this easy read but feel a level of complacency that comes now with each print. They no longer hold the complexity they did in "old girls network" or "olivia's luck" that magic of a wordsmith. is it because they are written on the back of her own life experiences and the places and people she encounters herself. Autobiographical is the sense these stories leave me. Married to a barrister herself with children & horses, etc., tapping these into print. i will continue to hope that earlier Alliott magic will return to set a pace of reading, mirth, emotions, twists & turns; return to stand higher than other authors capable of producing a versatile gripping story & my attention from beginning to end before her work becomes so dilute they will fall to the Mills & Boons shelf. Sorry but its a living to keep a lifestyle & not a passion of story or wordsmith magic; I hope to be proved wrong and go back to where I would finish my new purchase & immediately start it again! wonderful. she mirrored my heart, humour, relationships, encounters, but taken a more comfortable route to tailor her work.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2011
I bought this book on impulse after having read a series of much 'heavier' books and wanting something a little lighter. I wouldn't normally consider chicklit, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Yes it is a little frivolous, and yes that hunting scene is ridiculous, but I can't help feeling that those who criticised this are missing the point - this book is meant to be harmless fantasy, a distraction from the mundane reality of day to day existence. The further removed from our own lives the more humourous it becomes. Personally I say thank goodness for it; life may not be all champagne and roses but it can't be all serious either ...
on 23 August 2011
She's done it again and created a hysterical scene,an absolute romp comedy that captures you from begining to end 5 stars for Catherine Alliott.This rollercoaster read will have you in tears of laughter and sorrow all at the same time.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2012
This was the first book I have read by Catherine Alliott but I shall certainly look forward to reading more as I found this a very enjoyable read with several laugh out loud moments. The writing was witty and entertaining (despite the serious subject of Poppy's husband Phil dying very suddenly (and in a most bizarre way). The marriage had not been a particularly happy one and Poppy had harboured fantasies in which her husband was dead and the family were free of him. Initially her feelings were of relief, mixed with sadness for her children's loss but then she discovers he had been leading a secret life and this news plunges her into a depression from which she could barely function, until her feelings of anger overtake those of misery. Thus begins Poppy's fight to making a new life for herself and her children and to dipping her toes into the minefield of dating.

The main cast of characters were well written and engaging - many were likeable, and some definitely not so, but they all had their own contribution to the story. I loved the character of Clemmie, Poppy's young daughter, she was an absolute delight. Poppy's friends Jenny and Angie also feature heavily and they have their own marriage problems to deal with whilst Poppy is trying to come to terms with hers.

I enjoyed accompanying Poppy on her journey to find a new life after Phil. There were a couple of instances where the storyline disappointed - in particular the hunting scene and also where Poppy gets drunk but overall a very good read and one which I would recommend.
on 28 March 2012
Catherine Alliott has always been a favourite of mine, but this latest book left me strangely dissatisfied. Maybe it was the heroine, Polly, who seems to lurch through her days getting on everyone's nerves and annoying people. The fact she had just lost her husband seems to be perfect fodder for her to go completely doo-lally and forget to feed and clothe her children. She really is very tiresome and I found myself getting agitated with her antics.

The author has chosen to throw a number of characters into the mix, I suppose to keep us all guessing who Polly will end up with, although I found it to be glaringly obvious throughout.

Oh, and Knights in White Satin was sung by the Moody Blues, and not Procol Harum, as Ms Alliott seems to think.

As has been previously mentioned by other reviewers, some of the scenes in the book seem to be thrown in to pad out an otherwise weak storyline. I'm thinking specifically of the fox hunt scenes, which were cringeworthy, and trying too hard to be funny. The fact a wee doggy was killed in the melee wasn't my idea of fun reading.

The ending seemed to be very rushed with no build up, or sexual tension, or anything, come to that. Just as if the author wanted the book to be done and dusted.

All in all, I thought it was a pleasant enough read, but without the laugh out loud moments I've come to expect from Catherine Alliott novels.