Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2016
Absolutely loved this book. Its the 2nd time I've read it, I love how in her novels there is sometimes factual history. Loved the main character I was with her all the way. There no heavy violence or graphic sex scene just good writing descriptions and fantastic story telling.
on 29 October 2015
Lesley Pearse's attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. Her meticulous research on 19th-century America has resulted in a really captivating tale of a young Victorian flower seller who, despite her humble background, moves across the Atlantic and climbs out of poverty through sheer hard work.

I'm very eager to work my way through Lesley's back catalogue as she is one of my favourite writers. This is the 11th book of hers I have read, and I would say that this is probably one of her best.
on 10 August 2017
This was a page turner from start to finish. The characters are believable and the author's depiction of historical events were made real and she painted a vivid picture which had me hooked from beginning to end. A lovely read
on 14 July 2017
I love all Lesley Pearse books but some reviews are about a totally different book, this book is mainly written around three female characters Daisy and half sisters Ellen and Josie it is set mainly in 1950, 1960 up to 1990,the title father unknown is rather insignificant as he is in only one chapter,but you will find this book unputdownable .
on 12 April 2016
Really good read and will not disappoint Lesley Pearse fans or anyone new to the author. Lots of historic content and shows well researched. Look forward to the next book.......
on 31 May 2017
Just finished this book couldn't put it down where does Lesley get all the info how the other half lived then?? Many thanks I just love the individual stories you manage to bring to us.
on 29 July 2017
Five stars for an entertaining exciting read which kept me guessing to the end
Really enjoy lesley Pearse books both for the historical content and nicely woven stories
on 8 October 2012
Loved this book. A big fan of Lesley Pearse,I downloaded this one and was hooked within a couple of chapters. Cleverly written and with some twists and turns I had not expected - this shows that even when one has ready many of this writer's books she can still surprise. I had various plots and endings in mind when I started this, and was wrong which was a nice surprise. Would definitely recommend it - I always feel that Lesley's novels must be incredibly well researched. Absolute respect for this lady.
on 12 March 2015
I really enjoyed this L/ p book ,her vivid and detailed descriptive way of writing kept me reading on , I could picture many of the scenes throughout the book .
Matilda the main character was made up of very stern stuff .
Don't believe in long reviews it puts you off reading the book !!!!!
This book or worth reading. Enjoy ,,,,,
on 27 May 2017
Good story line very intriguing could not put this book down. A good read and would definitely recommend. On the edge of your seat story