Customer reviews

The Lighthouse
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2017
I am using this book to help me translate the French version. It is a close version of the one in French, but the translator has not copied it directly. What it does show is the wonderful writing style of PD James
on 14 October 2013
I listened to this book on a CD while on a long drive through Spain. It entertained me. The narrator told the tale well. It's just a little on the plodding side. When we finally find out 'whodunit' I felt underwhelmed. It's almost as if Miss James didn't decide on who to have as the murderer until the end. I know that's an accusation that can be applied to many novels in this genre. There were enough suspects to provide red herrings. Not bad. Could be better.
on 4 September 2012
Popular with us, a long car journey, listening to P D James and Adam Dalgleish, solving crimes, Detection and full of time, place and character.Unabridged and excellent value for money.
on 19 May 2017
Unreadable
on 12 February 2013
A bit slow to start with but overall a very good audio book - the story line to start with was a bit boring but once into the book it really was quite exciting.
on 14 October 2017
Intriguing
on 8 March 2014
Haven't read P D James for a while but was disappointed. Frequent over- description detracted from the plot for me.
on 24 April 2013
It was excessively wordy with a fog of description of everything encountered of which there was little. There seems to be no believable plot line. A gripper it was not.
on 26 February 2013
To the very best of my knowledge I have only ever failed to finish about six books in the last 10 years. The Lighthouse was one of them.
on 1 March 2007
I too thought this was among PD James's best. I love the way she builds a group of characters, all with a motive for murder. It soon becomes obvious who will be the first victim, but I didn't guess the identity of the murderer. My husband, though, picked up clues I missed and hence found the book marginally formulaic. Even so, he still enjoyed it.

I found myself reading until one o'clock in the morning, unable to put it down. There's human interest, too, in the lives of the three detectives - enough to make them more real than some of the automatons who inhabit this genre.

For an absorbing and easy read, I'd thoroughly recommend it.