Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2017
If I ever get the chance to go to England, I'll be sure to pop into a pub with my cousin, who lives in the Wakefield area of West Yorkshire.
on 31 August 2016
Intersting. A good background book. Easy reading.
on 2 July 2017
useful and interesting
on 18 April 2012
I had lots of fun reading this book. Albert Jack has done some major research into the subject and has some very amusing anecdotes and observations. Definitely worth buying !
on 27 October 2016
Perfect condition and rather entertaining. It's surprising what is hanging right over our heads.
Most enjoyable lots of interesting and entertaining information
on 10 November 2009
Great book, one to pick up and put down at will. Nice to dip into but informative.
on 21 July 2014
I am really enjoying this! This is MY kind of history - the past and pubs! - but not necessarily in that order, would you believe! I honestly thought that this would prove to be a 'dip into' book that I might enjoy as the mood took me but I was so wrong. This has proved to be one of my personal best buys as I've been so intrigued and interested that I've been reading it since I bought it. So much so, that I may have to purchase Mr.Jack's other books when I arrive at the end of this one... I do so hope other buyers enjoy it too.
on 9 October 2009
Neither of my locals, the Daisy and the Old Unicorn, are in this book but it is nevertheless a treasure house of other delights. We have such as the Bag of Nails, the Bucket of Blood, the Pickled Parson and the Quiet Woman. All are explained as to their origins and it makes good reading.

My favourite, perhaps, is the Drunken Duck. The said duck was found apparently dead in the pub's back yard, taken indoors and plucked ready for the oven. As it happened, the duck wasn't dead but dead drunk and was slowly reviving. A barrel had leaked beer into its feeding trough and it had drunk its fill, and more besides. No matter, the landlord's wife knitted it a pullover until some of its feathers grew back and the duck became something of a celebrity. So much so that the pub's name was changed accordingly.

Excellent bed-time reading.

John Whitaker.
on 4 March 2010
Hi,this book was sent to both my sister and brother,they both said they have had happy hours reading it.Pick it up,put it down when you wish,great little boredom breaker and a laugh too.