Customer reviews

The Cruel Sea (Penguin World War II Collection)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2017
This book portrays the loneliness, tension and fear of steaming across the Atlantic as a sitting target for German U-boats, with no hope of rescue if torpedoed, It recalls the often forgotten sacrifice of the thousands of men from all countries who gave up their lives to keep the war effort going. The book is slowed down by a bit of unnecessary love interest, but overall we can forgive that.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2014
I've read the book before, watched the film many times (and have a copy of it on DVD) but I never tire of it. There's just something about Monsarrat's descriptive powers which enthrals me - and I'm not easily enthralled. I bought this copy because I didn't have it on my bookshelves. Of course I read it as soon as I got it and, as always, enjoyed it immensely. I can't say that about many books.
on 2 October 2017
A superb read, absolutely brilliant in its' depth and scope. What really shocked me is how well he deals with the romance ashore between Lockhart & Hallam.. Highly recommended.
on 23 February 2007
I first studied this classic at high school in England. The author's knowledge and love of the sea and naval battles shine through. His characterisations and the motivations he gives his cast are well-thought out. He is able to bring the reader onto the corvettes during battles, skirmishes, slack times. Monsarrat superbly describes the brutality of war, the beauty of the landscapes and seascapes, romance, pride in what the sailors are trying to achieve. A masterpiece and thoroughly deserving of its reputation. Buy it!!
on 17 May 2017
A true classic about the hardships of war. Excellent writing.
on 9 March 2017
Believe it or not I bought this after it featured in a question on University Challenge. Thoroughly recommended!
on 16 June 2017
The very best of story-telling.
on 26 May 2017
Very happy with the product
on 21 August 2017
A excellent read
on 9 April 2017
One of the best books I have read and one of the best about war. Sympathetic, horrific, sad, terrifying, and awe inspiring