Customer reviews

Most Secret War (Penguin World War II Collection)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2017
Wonderful book by a "true"genius.
on 25 May 2017
A fascinating account from one who was "there".
on 18 July 2017
I have learned more Physics from reading this than I did at school, where I failed O Lever in 1968! A story that is epic!
on 22 May 2016
I owned this book as a paperback many years ago and was impressed by several of the photographs included with the text. I have to say that I'm really very disappointed with this Kindle edition, although the text refers extensively to the photographic plates, they are all missing and to the best of my knowledge and belief there is no mention when you are purchasing the Kindle edition that you are not in fact buying the book as complied by Dr Jones but rather one that has been abridged.
on 11 August 2017
Without doubt my most favourite book. I have read this many times over several decades and it never fails to thrill. The science is clear and understandable and, in case you think this is all very heavy going, it is the only technical book which has ever embarrassed me by giving me a fit of the giggles whilst on the underground. If ever I was banished to a desert island, this is the book I would take. I would keep the bible but trade in the complete works of Shakespeare for another copy of this to sustain me when the original version becomes too dog-eared to read!
on 7 September 2010
This is my favourite book from many written describing scientific developments in the second world war. It covers a very broad scope and will be indispensible to the scientific historian and lay reader interested in electronic developments in radar, navigation aids, encryption, electronic warfare and communications during the period 1935 to 1945. Dr RV Jones was at the summit of a huge pyramid of secret research and development by a dedicated band of research engineers and scientists employed in the British scientific civil service, universities and industry during WWII much of whose efforts are still unrecognised today, but from which most of our modern electronic systems that we now take for granted first saw the light of day. The book is also a personal account of his life and the conflicts and difficulties which he encountered in this most challenging of roles.

I had the good fortune to meet Professor Jones in 1984 at Southampton University when he was guest speaker on the subject "Irony in Scientific Endeavour" and he kindly signed my very battered copy of his book. It is now a treasured possession.
on 2 December 2016
I have just bought another copy of this most interesting book - my former copy having become dog-eared. R.V. Jones made an outstanding contribution to the outcome of World War 11 and encountered stiff resistance at times. For anyone interested in scientific intelligence, this is essential reading. And I am indeed proud that he attended the same school as myself - Alleyn's School, Dulwich.
on 14 January 2014
This book had to wait 30 years after the Second World War to be published, revealing secrets that until then had been classified. It describes the part played by Air Intelligence in combating the scientific advances made by the enemy, and in thinking up our own inventions to ensure victory. R.V.Jones was picked by WInston Churchill to head up the department. Although quite young,he and his team achieved great things. The book is fascinating, and in places very funny. For example, the department deduced that the enemy had a radio system for guiding bombers on to their target in central England from just three pieces of information: a radio receiver in a crashed bomber that seemed to be of much higher quality than was apparently needed; the word "knickebein" ("Crooked Leg") overheard in a prison camp uttered by a Luftwaffe pilot, and a fuzzy photograph of a mobile radio aerial taken by the Resistance in France. And then, instead of destroying the beams, they worked out how to bend them, and caused the bombs to miss their target. This book is an entertaining read for anybody interested in the science and technology of warfare.
on 26 May 2001
This is one of the best books to be read by anyone interested in the application of science. Through the stories about how information was gathered, analysed and finally brought together to create something useful. His application of Occams razor is something I have - in turn - applied over and over again to produce a useful result.
If you are interested in the history of science and technology, this book is for you. Don't be put off by the size (600+ pages in my paperback edition!) this is an excellent read.
on 16 July 2003
I first purchased this book (an earlier edition) over 15 years ago and still read it form time to time. Mr.R.V. Jones in my view was a very clever man who fully understood the on-coming threat posed by the Germans. If there had ever been the right man for the job,(R.V.Jones) it was him. The book might read that he was the only person working for the Government who fully understand what scientific advances the Germans were making at the time, but you will notice he goes out of his way to mention everybody involved in his work. He also adds some comical notes about his early experiments which brings out his "I'm only human" side of him. By the time you have finished the book, you feel as if you have been there with him, through the long struggle with the British Establishment to accept the threat the Germans posed!