on 22 December 2016
Three stars in Amazon means 'It's OK', and I think that does sum up this book.

As a massive H2G2 fan, I was dubious about this book coming out - did it really need to be written? I'm not so sure, though it is based on notes and plans made by Douglas Adams (as you will see if you read the Salmon of Doubt - highly recommended incidentally).

Eoin Colfer is a very gifted and able writer, but his main area is teen fiction, and unfortunately that shows in this book. There are some clever ideas, but the humour never really gets beyond the adolescent, which is a big let-down for Adams fans. It is this that is the major let-down, rather than the storyline, which holds up reasonably well but drifts into subject areas that as a Hitchhiker's reader, you're not totally comfortable with.

In short, it's an OK book, and I suspect most H2G2 fans will purchase to complete the set. Did it need to be written? By Adams, perhaps, but anyone else? No.
on 30 October 2016
An excellent sequel to the famous "trilogy of three" ( which actually became five). Mr. Adams would be proud I think, to have inspired another author to continue his work. Everyone is here, Arthur, Ford, Trillian, Zaphod, even everyone's favourite thunder God, Thor. Well-written and certainly in the spirit of the original series, it actually had me laughing out loud repeatedly, a rare thing these days. Eoin Colfer has done a bang-up job in bringing these characters back for one more dance. Insane plot devices, improbable plot developments. Any chance of any more?
on 8 December 2013
This book is just dreadful. I'm quite an avid reader, although never before have I given up half way through a book. I've persisted through some bad novels - either badly written or just plain boring, but this tipped me over the edge. I've been aware (and wary) of it since it was released, and only bought it as I recently re-read the original series, and the ending was so bleak that I wanted to see if this could cheer me up. It didn't.

Imagine your favourite characters from the original books (and a load of minor ones that you're not really interested in) all brought back together, given awful dialogue, and a painfully drawn-out narrative that is constantly interrupted by a new, boring, irritating, facsimile of the guide (i'm not talking about V2, that disappears almost immediately). It's really really bad.

At one point Zaphod stops halfway through a set piece because he can't remember what he's doing or why he's there. That's how I felt with this book. Please don't buy it. They'll only write more of them if you do. An insult to Douglas, and when you think about it, outrageously arrogant of the Author to think that he could chuck another instalment on the end. Sir, if you read this, you should be ashamed of yourself.
on 10 April 2017
a decent effort at a very difficult task. Maybe a bit too Irish at times (for no good reason that I can see), and there's no way he was ever going to capture Douglas's style of writing, but he has clearly put in the effort and not done too bad a job, considering. Purists will reject it, of course, but in this DNA-fan's opinion it is worth a read
on 28 July 2016
A good book but not a great book. Although yes Eoin Colfer does have an excellent grasp of the universe and does to some extent mimic Adam's style it is still very obviously a counterfeit. The writing is no doubt good but in reality it is just glorified fanfiction: It doesn't smear nor enhance the world Douglas created it merely maintains it. In conclusion if you are in love with Arthur Dent's tale get this book BUT if you are a fan of Douglas' writing style don't bother.
on 14 August 2015
After reading the five parts numerous times I found this hard work. I started it twice and just stopped, I don't know if it's due to it being a particularly bad book or just can't live up to Douglas Adams brilliance. Anyway I made sure I finished it next time and it's the latter reason above. As long as you're a big H2G2 fan you may as well read it. I dare say some people will enjoy it more than me.
on 15 August 2014
I have read this a few times since it came out and I know how difficult it appears to be to 'Die Hard' HHGTTG fans to accept this book, but GET OVER IT! I myself am a huge fan but I'm not about to cut my nose off to spite my face, this is still a great story. Of course Colfers writing style is not exactly like Douglas Adams, but its a damn good match. Colfer manages very well to pick up the story, from which point we all thought all hope was lost and I'm glad he did. We all felt we were robbed at the end of Mostly Harmless, so it was a pretty nifty piece of writing to bring the story back to life. I'm not going to go into the story line at all, but if you are a true fan, please, please, please read this, you won't be disappointed!
on 24 February 2017
If you want a bit more, give the book a read, it's not bad, certainly not great. a lot of guide notes that are not really funny and very repetitive, I could see what he was trying to do, and he got the characters right. If he wrote another I would still read it because of my love for the characters though, not for his author skills.
on 25 September 2012
Rarely is one tempted to burn or send a book for recycling, but this is one of them. There is nothing original about the book, just adulterated and unimaginative regurgitation of earlier editions. The story is mundane and as for the "Guide", what's the point, as Marvin would say. Mr Colfer should stick with writing what he knows, although that probably is not very much!
I thought I was buying a paperback, I really did. When it arrived, I was so chuffed for the price; it's a very good rendition and adds nicely to the BBC adaptations of the other books. I think they did this on Book at Bedtime, but I heard only a little of that.

Good stuff.