on 30 October 2016
An excellent sequel to the famous "trilogy of three" ( which actually became five). Mr. Adams would be proud I think, to have inspired another author to continue his work. Everyone is here, Arthur, Ford, Trillian, Zaphod, even everyone's favourite thunder God, Thor. Well-written and certainly in the spirit of the original series, it actually had me laughing out loud repeatedly, a rare thing these days. Eoin Colfer has done a bang-up job in bringing these characters back for one more dance. Insane plot devices, improbable plot developments. Any chance of any more?
on 14 August 2015
After reading the five parts numerous times I found this hard work. I started it twice and just stopped, I don't know if it's due to it being a particularly bad book or just can't live up to Douglas Adams brilliance. Anyway I made sure I finished it next time and it's the latter reason above. As long as you're a big H2G2 fan you may as well read it. I dare say some people will enjoy it more than me.
on 15 August 2014
I have read this a few times since it came out and I know how difficult it appears to be to 'Die Hard' HHGTTG fans to accept this book, but GET OVER IT! I myself am a huge fan but I'm not about to cut my nose off to spite my face, this is still a great story. Of course Colfers writing style is not exactly like Douglas Adams, but its a damn good match. Colfer manages very well to pick up the story, from which point we all thought all hope was lost and I'm glad he did. We all felt we were robbed at the end of Mostly Harmless, so it was a pretty nifty piece of writing to bring the story back to life. I'm not going to go into the story line at all, but if you are a true fan, please, please, please read this, you won't be disappointed!
on 24 February 2017
If you want a bit more, give the book a read, it's not bad, certainly not great. a lot of guide notes that are not really funny and very repetitive, I could see what he was trying to do, and he got the characters right. If he wrote another I would still read it because of my love for the characters though, not for his author skills.
I thought I was buying a paperback, I really did. When it arrived, I was so chuffed for the price; it's a very good rendition and adds nicely to the BBC adaptations of the other books. I think they did this on Book at Bedtime, but I heard only a little of that.

Good stuff.
on 17 March 2015
It's awful. Don't read it if you are a fan of Douglas Adams. His characterisation of the main cast are exaggerated clichés. Even if you wished for a more uplifting ending to Mostly Harmless, this will not do the job. Better to leave it where Douglas Adams finished the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy ... sorry Eoin!
on 6 July 2017
Not Douglas Adams but still a really good read.
on 22 May 2013
It was a nice standalone book, combining Adams's Thor of his Dirks Gently series with his characters of the Hitchhiker's series. His style is fun, full of sarcasm and wit, yet it's just not the same. I suppose I'm a bit too critical, after taking a liking to the silly wit of Adams and his version of the story. It's difficult to pick up someone else's story and run with it. I do like the story Colfer wrote and his style and will probably pick up some of his children's books, but as for this being a sequel, it only made me miss Adams and his otherworldly wit.
on 1 June 2017
A bit dull. Not up to the originals.
on 9 July 2016
Unluckily a poor imitation of Douglas Adams original book, using the world he created to attempt to create a story. The characters did not appear to match Adams and seemed forced and the guide notes were too forced.