on 31 October 2013
Well of course Emily Brontë wrote this beautifully, but I would not have shared her life, thank you very much. What horrors could bring forth such a stark and depressing representation of humanity? Heathcliff is the worst, and only becomes more and more hideous as the tale goes on. But he's not alone. Aside from Mrs Dean, every character has a bitter, desperate character for at least as significant portion of their sorry, short lives.

By the end I did feel some pity and compassion for Heathcliff, and for Cathy the younger and poor Hareton.

It's one of those books you have to have read! No doubt I'll read it again one day, but for now I'm feeling exceedingly relieved to have reached the end. Something a little more upbeat next, I think!
Etching
on 7 January 2015
I am a huge fan of all the bronte sisters, but for me Wuthering Heights is very overrated. The atmosphere created, particularly with the intense and detailed description of the landscape, is fantastic, but the characters are all so loathsome. I didn't give a hoot who Cathy chose, I just wanted everyone to stop being so vile to each other! In my opinion, if you don't care about the characters in a story, then it's not a very good novel. But it is considered a classic, so I am guessing I am very much in the minority with this view!
on 24 February 2014
I can't believe that I had never read this! Very remiss of me! An excellent book and not at all as I expected. I believed that Heathcliffe would be a lovable but somewhat dour hero...wrong! I found him to be selfish, manipulative and vengeful, without pity. A really good read! And considering that it was written about 200 years ago when young ladies were not only expected to behave demurely, but writing about subjects which were 'rather worldly' must have been really frowned upon when it was first published! I really enjoyed this tale and would highly recommend it. Definitely a Classic!
on 5 April 2016
This book came very quickly, and I am enjoying it very much. It's an interesting read and I would recommend, especially for the price!
on 11 April 2016
I have read this classic in hardback & paperback & decided to get it in Kindle. I am glad I did - it is one of the greatest novels in world literature. I have only given it 4 stars as a note of caution : the few illustrations are not at all clear & all except one were of red indians hunting buffalo - unless my eyes are playing up!
on 14 July 2015
Bronte's story gets 5 stars from me, but I've only given 4 because I purchased a cheap copy a while back and, despite having tiny font and awfully cheap paper, it did have extensive footnotes. While the quality of the novel is fab, the lack of footnotes is a little bit disappointing for a Penguin classic, especially as this is frequently used as the student edition of Wuthering Heights. I love the story itself and if you're looking for a basic paperback copy, this will do fine!
on 13 June 2016
This book is nothing like the adaptations I saw on TV. It's lively and interesting not dark and brooding. Also here, Heathcliff is no victim, far from it. The ending isn't sad either.

Mostly I was surprised by the lively, engaging writing that made it an easy page turner. This book disproves my belief that classic = boring.
on 22 July 2016
I have read and re-read this magnificent work of art countless times, finding each time more incredible that the previous. Many people dislike this book and honestly, I can see why; because it is very negative and is certainly not suitable for anyone looking for a light, easy read. However, it's haunting perfection has made it an absolute favourite of mine since the first time I read it. Everyone should try this book at least once, for it is not one to be missed. Emily Brontë must have been truly astonishing to have created such a story as this, and I thank her greatly.
on 18 August 2012
I feel woefully inadequate to reviewing this book, as it is one of the great classics, and there's been so much said about it already down the years.

My thoughts on reading it (apart from that it's a good book, and very vividly written) were that Emily carries out a very good analysis of what "heaven" or "hell" may mean to different people - that one person's "hell" may be different to another's. I have not read any studies on the book, so I don't know even if this is meant to be one of the themes, but that was my impression.

I would definitely read this book again one day.
on 2 October 2016
Have always enjoyed this story. Enjoyed the hard backed version and with the included fabric 'bookmark' which goes down the spine of the book so that you can mark where you are up to without having to find a separate bookmark. Used this book for study at A Level.