on 25 June 2017
Nice read.
on 26 May 2017
I found this a very good read couldn't put it down it was so interesting
Have read all Fern`s books and they are all hard to put down
on 7 April 2017
Fern's honesty and warmth shines through.
on 19 March 2017
Excellent read. Increased my admiration for Fern.
on 23 January 2009
I probably can't add much to what's already been said ,except some of the things Fern wrote about in her life really touched me personally so I'm able to feel for her in some of the things she has experienced.As for the gastric band I felt that was nothing to do with anyone else but I praise her courage for the way she dealt with it.One thing I hope though she doesn't lose too much weight as a consequence. I must say also this was a very well written book and as said in some of the other reviews I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.I'm so pleased she did write it(it shows us the pain behind that lovely smile) and now how happy she is with(husband)Phil,she really deserves it. My husband has now picked it up to read and I hope he feels the same!!! By the way we are the same age but she's much more glamorous.Loved it Loved it,Loved it and I read lots of autobiographies.One of the best by far,with some of them you don't feel you know anymore about them than when you started reading.Can't wait for the next one.
on 2 August 2009
If ever there was anyone qualified to anchor a programme like "This
Morning," then Fern was the one. Her life has been a series of trials and tribulations but what comes across is what a feisty and determined lady she really is and how she has lived life to the full. From her early days as a journalist working on regional TV to prime time presenter, it hasn't been an easy ride for Fern. She has endured her own health demons,battling depression and obesity. Her own mother suffered serious illness when Fern was young and despite long absences of her actor father, Tony Britton, Fern remains close to both her parents. Like so many people in TV, she was fortunate to have a series of lucky breaks but she finally found her niche on daytime TV, first with Ready Steady Cook and then This Morning. She also found the delicious Phil Vickery and she allays all those rumours concerning "gastric bandgate" and her professional relationship with Philip Schofield. I loved this autobiography and was sorry to finish it. A brilliant holiday read not to be missed whether you are a fan or not!Fern: My Story
on 15 November 2008
I have been a fan of Fern's for years. I admit I was disappointed when it all came out about her gastric band and I bought the book fearing that it would be a whitewash. It isn't. Fern has not had it easy. The proof that she really is the nice person I always thought she was is that she doesn't point fingers or spill blood and guts in the way that has become commonplace in celebrity biographies which, in my view, is all to her credit. Yet reading between the lines, her father being totally absent, her stepfather being less than easy... I have a much clearer understanding of how she manages to emphathise with people who go on This Morning. Her descriptions of depression so closely mirrored my own that it was a great comfort to me. People always say "Oh you can't be a depressive, you're always laughing and joking and seem so happy" Yes, I am by nature happy, but when depression descends on me it is as if I have fallen off the platform that everyone else stands on and from which one can operate normally. In a horrible way it is comforting to know that someone known for being so smiley, can have felt the same.

I was lucky enough to be able to conceive my children normally and this is the first time I have really understood the pressures that face women in Fern's situation. It's not something you can ask anyone about. Thanks to her book, I can now appreciate just how painful it must be and the joy Fern experienced, and the difficult decision to leave the twins' father had me in tears. I thoroughly recommend this book. It told me so much, not only about Fern's past but also about her current life, busy and happy. Well done Fern.
55 Comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2008
Not normally a reader of "celeb" autobiographies which for the most part are turgid and badly written, I approached this with some trepidation. In fact, it is very well written, giving a real insight into Fern Britton's life and work. It is a very good example of how a public persona can be hiding a much deeper self. She inter-cuts the more distant past with her current life, a device which sounds as if it would be enfuriating but this works extraordinarily well, the narrative flowing smoothly along. All in all, this a really good and entertaining read which can be heartily recommended as a Christmas present!
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2009
Having read about Fern Britton's life in various issues of Woman's Own I thought I'd join up the dots and read her autobiography. It's written in an style which draws the author in and episodes from her current life are intersperced throughout the chapters. Fern tells of her heartbreak when her parents split up though a somewhat difficult childhood with a rather eccentric stepfather to her days as an assistant stage manager. Throughout the chapters it's clear to see how hard she worked to get the career she has now and I particularly enjoyed the gossip about various famous people and the story about how Lauren Bacall walked off with her Jo Malone candle!

The chapters surrounding Fern's fertility are hard to read, as are the bits explaining her various depressions, which shows that even successful people can feel down at times. Her initial relationship with second husband Phil Vickery is a bit strange - see if you agree with me about the 'London Zoo' episode! Fern's love for her children is plain to see and it's good to see that she strikes a sensible work-life balance.

All in all it's a good read and the quality of the narrative and writing style is somewhat superior to a number of other 'celeb' biographies.
on 11 December 2008
Not a habitual reader of celebrity autobiogaphies, i bought this as a gift and started reading it myself, and couldn't stop! It is a poignant and insightful account of Fern's life in and out of the spotlight, and gives a fascinating picture of life behind the TV screen, and the struggle it took her to get there. In a world fascinated by the media, it's great to get a view from the inside, and a personal understanding of the way it works.

Extremely well written and structured it is really un-put-down-able! highly recommended.