on 4 January 2018
This is a fascinating character in ways........
on 5 August 2017
Outstanding. I was not expecting to be so shaken by this text. Give it a go if you are brave.
on 21 May 1999
An engrossing account of Tolstoy's spiritual crisis, in which he grapples with the apparent meaningless of his life and existence in general.. As a person who went through a similar experience, this book meant a lot to me -- we had so many common feelings and struggles. It is very well-written and doesn't take long to read... well-worth it! My one complaint is that the book kind of leaves you hanging -- he goes through what led to his crisis but you're left wishing to know how his faith develops... but, there are other books by him about it.
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 March 2016
Appeals to emotion and failures to overcome personal weakness are not an argument for the existence or belief in God.
on 5 June 1998
When reading A Confession I felt as if I were listening to a wise, animated friend. This book spoke to me. Tolstoy convincingly details the reasons not to live only to conclude that the best thing to do is to continue living. Since it is not a particularly well-known Tolstoy work, I thought it deserved some promotion here. It really is wonderful.
on 23 June 1999
This was perhaps the greatest book I have ever read. What a trip! In just a short hour I experienced the devestating effects of a horrible depression to the uplifting accounts of unimaginable faith through an extraordinary man. I believe this should be mandatory reading for all highschool/college students. Setting the religious aspects aside, Tolstoy's unique contemplating process is one that I feel we should all be aware of. He examines everything; leaving no stone unturned. What a great work of art!
on 27 January 2012
A small book about a big question. Tolstoy asks: "Why do I live?" And the conclusions he comes to - about God, faith and meaning in life - felt so relevant to me, so profound and true, it's strange to think they were written by a Russian nobleman nearly a century before my birth. Tolstoy was excommunicated by the Orthodox Church for writing A Confession - definitive proof, surely, that no good deed goes unpunished.
on 14 October 2003
There are some books that have a resonance with your inner sense and this, for me, was one of them. It asked all the questions about the meaning of life that I've ever been tempted to ask, and gave me relief that someone else has thought the same dark, depressing, thoughts that I have. And strangely enough, just the realisation that Tolstoy has been where I have been, gave me inspiration. I requested this book because I'm interested in Wittgenstein and many of his early writings were influenced by Tolstoy and I wanted to see what it was about Tolstoy that had such a profound effect on Wittgenstein. And now I feel I understand and have experienced this effect. It truly is one of the most incredible books I have ever read - but then I am a philosopher with a questioning mind - you may not be!
on 10 October 2015
A short read. I liked his honesty. His account of his 'conversion' tended to become slightly repetitive. I would recommend it to anyone going through a 'crisis' in their faith. Tolstoy's spiritual journey is through 'the dark night of the soul' and he seems to have survived to tell the tale.
on 27 November 2016