Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2017
I was expecting a far better book. The illustrations are tiny and badly printed and the font size is totally weird and so difficult to read. I would have thought I had received by chance a bad printed copy, an experiment?, if not for the fact that the dishonest seller I bought it from shipped me and charged me for two copies and never replied to my claims. So I have even an extra copy of a poor quality and uninspiring edition which I cannot even give away as a present.
on 22 April 2017
Disappointed found the dense small print difficult and then the ideas were interesting. But hard to follow as I struggled tp read it
on 7 April 2017
Great book, have already read it years ago, but needed for research. Excellent price.
on 22 March 2017
a must have
on 27 April 2014
This was a wonderful book, produced beautifully in its original form, and was a magnificent yet to help my A level students come to grips with what it meant to adopt a critical position.

However, this latest edition is a huge disappointment. Most of the illustrations are so poorly printed in my copycats to ruin the point. That paper quality and font size make the reading other text an endurance test and the production singularly betrays the genius o the original text.

Get an original second hand. This latest version is a disgrace.
11 Comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2017
I ordered this book despite reviewers’ warnings about the illegible monochrome art reproductions and the alien font.
I duly found these aspects of the presentation irritating but was prepared to overlook them for the sake of increasing my limited knowledge of the visual arts. My fault entirely that I was assuming I would learn about developments in technique or perhaps advice on how to ’read’ a painting.
What I wasn’t expecting were Marxist lectures. I have no objection to Marxism as such: it is a valid attempt – though only one of many – to describe how society functions, but I wanted to learn more about the physical process by which painters depict the three-dimensional world on a flat canvas.
I cannot therefore recommend the book but am apparently one of a rather small minority so read the other reviews before making up your mind to buy.
on 6 February 2017
This book strikes me as absurd. The text, while dark, is very small and hard to read. The pictures are tiny and in black and white, so that the various points that might be made from them are not visible. Why was this edition ever produced? Surely the arguments put forward cry out for a proper full-sized book and clear coloured illustrations. I didn't see the television series and feel cheated by this, apparently the only available book made from it.
on 20 December 2016
The whole book is printed using Impact as a font, in bold. Unreadable
on 1 May 2014
This Penguin Classic reprint is terrible. Tiny bold type, almost unreadable, bad b/w photo reproduction on cheap paper, really disappointing.
on 12 March 2015
Text too small. Could read it so returned it as when I buy a book I expect to be able to read the text. The whole thing is in 8pt bold. Waste of time.